Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going BBC!!!!!!! help me choose a cam!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steve_kibbe, Nov 5, 2004.

1. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I've started my BBC project and wonder what kinda cam to get?
    I want something for good allround use. I don't mind a lope
    to the idle.....I'd rather have a lope /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Let me know what y'all think /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Need alittle more info. What transmission are you going too use ?? Will you be doing and rock crawling ?? I'd call up Comp Cams 1-800-cam-help give them all the info and see what they recomend.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a suggestion but it will be better suited(sp?) for mud. It's also not EFI friendly.

Crane Cam Page

Pros - LOTS of torque / lopey idle / street friendly / works well with auto and 4spd.

Cons - no vacuum so you'll need a cannister if you have power brakes / it's hungry

I have used this cam in two motors and will be using it again in my new motor. TARussell and I also put this cam in Ratzilla's current motor.

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Also depends on gear ratio, compression, and if an auto do you have a stall coverter. Don't forget about new springs as well. Past experience has taught me that springs will "take a set" over time and a new cam profile can cause a spring to break. Over all I've been fairly impressed with Comp cams 4x4 extreme series, especially the K kit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

thanks for y'alls reply's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I plan on doing a little bit of everything. Not heavy rock for sure, but a little. This thing will see alot of dirt and muddy terrain. I'm in the south east. I'm planning on having 4:56 or 4:88 gears with 38 or 39.5 tires. I have an 350 auto tranny.
    I plan on changing valve springs, push rods, rockers. Compression ratio will be less than 10:1 I only want to run pump gas, I don't mind high test. I plan on using a new stock converter, but am open to sugestions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm going to run a carb, prolly holley truck advenger.