Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going for starter #4, with 4th shop, finally know what's wrong

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Going for starter #4, with 4th shop, finally know what\'s wrong

So, been through 3 starters in 3 months. 1st mechanic says bolt hole in block is stripped, but should be OK. It wasn't. Got to Barstow on the infamous ski trip, the mechanic there heli 's the hole, but doesn't shim the starter. It's dead by Salt Lake. Buddy in Salt Lake shims it, but not a month later it's grinding again.

Well, brought it to another shop, with excellent rep in town, to see if maybe it's the flex plate. Well, it's not. The entire bolt hole is cracked off it. He knows an excellent welder in Orange County and tells him that my rig belongs to his cousin and talks the guy into driving up and repairing my block. And I get a lifetime guarantee on it! And I'm replacing the starter with a new AC Delco. So, for not much money (all relative), the last of the big time problems will soon be over *knocking on big old forest trees*

Whew!

Oh, and BTW, now that I have new rear springs, new rancho 9000's, new body mounts and new rear disc brakes, I have no body roll and can throw myself thru my own windshield stopping on a dime! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Going for starter #4, with 4th shop, finally know what\'s wrong

i also had a grinding problem. looking at the bolt holes with the block upside down, i could confirm they were good and there was no crackage. bought a new flexplate and starter, shimmed it to spec with the little 'rod of tolerance', and hopefully it'll be all good.....

greg

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

This stuff is a beotch, isn't it? I can't tell you how glad I was to know that I wasn't going to have to get another block!

I thought it was going to be a flex plate problem, but they checked it out, and it doesn't have a scratch on it.

Good luck on yours!

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Glad it's fixed.... so no more phone calls from Barstow to me anymore huh? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, I didn't say that, Steph!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Ya know, I still may wind up on that mayoral ballot!

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

A new AC Delco starter properly installed to begin with would of prevented all such problems. You will never get a cheapie pep boys or autozone starter to equal the quality of the AC Delco. It must also be properly installed and have the support arm installed as well. If not you are just asking for exactly what happened with you.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Man that trip is still haunting you!
    Well guess what! my 75 started leaking like your truck was LOL. No biggy on it. No interrior to get wet. Next time I have the hood off I'll do something about it.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yup, live and learn! What's a support arm?

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi Grimmy!

Yea, the trip that wouldn't die! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Well, I dunno what I was thinking, drving 1600 miles round trip when I hadn't driven the rig 10 miles to that point! And I actually talked a friend into going with me! (She should've known better) Ignorance is bli.... well, ignorance!

I hafta tell ya, I almost fainted when the shop guy said that the hole in the block was gone! I've replaced darn near everything in the rig and was taking solace in the fact that at least the engine and tranny were good! If I would've had to replace that block I think I would've blown a cork!

LOL! you get to use your own write-up on that leak. What are you gonna use to seal the cowl seam? I used some kind of marine caulk stuff, but afterwards thought that it might not be the best thing to hold up to sun and vibration.

10. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

The support arm is a little bracket that bolts to the side of the block. The other end goes to a stud on the starter that is held on by a nut.

11. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

The support arm is a little bracket that bolts to the side of the block. The other end goes to a stud on the starter that is held on by a nut. It helps keep the starter from "torquing" when it cranks the engine.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I used the Duplicolor Spray in beadliner when I cleaned up and fixed my doors to seal the bottoms. Had to get into one of the doors about 2 years after I did that and the stuff seems to be doing well. I'ts like $7 a can at Autozone. It's pretty liquid so I think it will seap down into the seam and do a good job sealing it. When I was putting the truck back together I cleaned all the rust out and painted the cowel box. Should be able to rinse and seal without much more work. Not real worried about it. Last 3 years I have run the truck with nothing more than a bikini top. Little water coming in up there is nothing compaired to having to open the doors at stop lights in a down pour to drain some water out LOL.
    Yeah putting truck together and driving 1600 miles first trip....sounds like something I would do. When I first got mine on the road I was working on it up till the day I took it on it's first trail ride....7 days after getting a tag.....3 day's after rebuilding the transmission myself. Did I mention I had never rebuilt a transmission before? hahahaha. Dogged the heck out of it for 2 days on some real hard trails. My wife got talked into that one.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Spaceboy. I'll make sure it's on there.

14. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Grimmy, you're a riot!

I know just what the day before you left looked like. Had one of them myself!

Saw my new starter today. It's pretty massive! Also saw a couple small holes in the headers, which the welder guy is gonna fix tomorrow. Should be able to take it home tomorrow afternoon.