Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going for the overhaul!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chili 87 K5, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Chili 87 K5

Chili 87 K5 Registered Member

May 8, 2000
    Well, after much reading and price quotes (and MUCHO helpful advice from you guys!), I've decided to go for an overhaul/rebuild of my 87 350 with the bent/broken crank (re: posting on 8/7). I've got a pal who's the prez of the local 4-wheeler assn (I can even forgive that he drives a Geek... er, a Jeep)... he's got the whole shop setup, for when it's time to reinstall.
    Overall, I really have the burning need to rip this puppy open myself; I ain't skeered of no wrench! Seriously, though, this is NOT my family vehicle, and I need to "get in touch with its inner self", if you know what I mean... all I had to tell my wife was that a cheap crate motor was over $1100, and a local high-end machine shop wants $1600 to rebuild my current block!
    The way I see it, as I strip her down, I can decide how far I need to go, as far as crank, pistons, honing/re-boring, etc.
    My only real problem (as I'm lying under this beast, trying to get the bloody rust-collection devices (exhaust flange bolts) free from the manifolds) is all the other cool stuff I want to do while the plant is out! Dual exhausts, suspension lift, tranny service, A/C repair... the list do go on some! So much potential, so little money!

I don't do a lot of serious mud-bogging, but I'm not averse to putting some sizzle into this critter, which is totally stock, and pretty bare-bones (not even carpet!).

Any suggestions for basic and fun upgrades I can do while the machine-work gets done?

'87 K5 -- 350 TBI, TH350, NP208... stock fleet truck... begging for some Frankenstein treatment!

Thanks again! Brian "Chili" G.