Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going from 305 to 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackdog, Aug 10, 2001.

1. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

I can do some basic work on my engine, but I've got a beginner question about upgrading from a 305 to a 350 on my '87 K5 (like I have the money to worry about this right now [​IMG]).

When I do get around to it, how much of the stuff on the engine can just go from one block to another (pulleys, alt, etc) not to mention keeping the same transmission? I'm under the impression it's the exact same block bored differently, right? What about the throttle body and injection system? Gears? Saying I'm not going to work th sh*t out of the 350 (at least in the beginning), what am I going to have to plunk my money down on besides the crate engine itself? I guess I'll need to buy heads, huh? I'm just trying to get a general idea. My 305's running great, but I know I'm going to get the itch eventually....

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I'm goin from the 305 to a 400, reworkin the heads that came with it. Had to upgrade the radiator to keep the 400 cool. You shouldn't have that problem with a 350 tho. What kind of transmission are you runnin now?

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

3. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    did this a little over a year ago----fan, pullys, intake,carb , dist, headers, oil pan (depending one years of engines)timing cover, oil pump, and valve covers(unless its vortec) all bolt up---harmonic balancer and flywheel (standard) or flexpalte (auto) need to be changed for the motor i.e. the 305 flywheel cannot be used on the 350--they look tha same but the weigh different, same w/ the balancer. Hope this helps

Hut in the well is goin on in here?

sun desert offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>