Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going From Half Cab To Full Convertible

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

So, let's say I can get this '73 for next to nothing. What is the process to convert something like my '90 to a full convertible? We do have shop access, for torch and welder, but not a whole lot of experience.

I'm taking a break from putting one of those antennas that is part of the windshield in. My new windshield has the antenna and our parts truck (just a barren cab now) had the wire. It was much easier taking out the old one, with no dash or ducts. Ducts are a PITA!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well it depends. If you swapped the windsheild header for the 73 I sure would let a pro do it. Full roll cage tied into the windshiel header to keep the 90 from folding at the doors from the roof being gone.
    A couple things I will point out. To replace the window seals and header seals on the 73 top your looking at $400 from LMC. A soft top is $600. If you cut the existing top about 4 inches back from the windshiled a soft top will fit it fine. Still need the roll cage.
    YeildtoMe and MtPockets have both done the conversion.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status