Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going from manual to auto

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snidgen, May 16, 2000.

1. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

I was wondering if there are any problems I am going to run into when i change my 1972 SM465 manual tranny to a TH400 auto? What about length and t-case(NP205) attachment? Will the same speedo cable work? I have not bought a automatic yet are any years better than others? What kind of shifter do you all recomend?

Peace,love,and 4wd is all you need

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Two questions:
    1) Why on earth would you whant a hot slusshy over the 4speed??
    2) can I have your sm465 if you still decide to do the swap[​IMG]
    I am just a huge cluch fannatic only cuz I Love to drive and a slush box it way too boaring for me!!
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I know you will need a kick down switch these are avalible
    from summit racing. B&M makes a truck shifter, not sure if it will work with a 4x4 because of the transfer case shifter. will need t-case adapter and possibly lengthen or shorten the drive shafts. Should be able to use same speedo cable if it is not too short.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Try to find a 400 with the case because the input on the Manual set up 205 is different than the Auto version. In the long run it will be easier and cheaper. Then completly take out the clutch assemebly and put it in a box and and ship it to me :)

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper