Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going Higher and Need some help..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PineyPower, Jan 8, 2003.

1. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

OK I got a 82 blazer 6 in lift.I want to put my 38.5`s swapers under it but i need to go higher frist.So i went out and bought a body lift today i read the shitty directions that they come w/ .If anyone has any tips for me when doing it to make the orpreation go a little smother let me know.I plan on doing it sataurday,I figure it should take the whole day w/ me and one of my buddies on it..

"Bad ASS BLAZER" soon to be on on 38.5 swapers

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Have a grinder ready. I had to grind the heads off of the bolts in the rear. It sucked real bad.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

this is said all the time on these forums but. Take back the body lift and buy a sawzall. if you dont want to do that (most people would suggest doing it but...) If you got a 3 inch body lift, depending on what trans you have you wil have to extend linkgages, we had to extend my friends clutch linkage on his 465. you will have to drop the gas tank. and you might have to Shave the bottom off of your fan shroud. oh yea, you might also have to cut a little more out of your floorboard so your tcase shifter can move all the way forward......... Let us know how it goes.

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

38.5 swapers /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

38.5 swamper's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Why not just "oakie" it up and hack the sh*t out of the fenders and make them 38.5"ers fit??

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You'll need to remove the front bumper, cut off the bottom half of your fan shroud, extend your tranny shift linkage by 3", notch the front of the opening in the floor so your t-case will shift all the way into low range, grind the back bolts that are welded in. You may also need to buy a longer gas tank filler tube and relocate some of the wiring in the frame. I had to made a longer ground strap at the back of the engine compartment. Also, you will have to cut the springs on the bottom of your tailgate. that will make it heavier to lift, but only whoosies worry about that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You should not need to drop your gas tank.

That is all I can think of for right now. But like others have said, you can always trim the sheet metal! I didn't do that because my 74 is rust free and in great shape. I wanted to keep the original body as long as possible.

Keep us posted! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Make sure to put in new poly mounts while you're at it.

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    It would be less work to install a suspension lift than a body lift.You can run those 38's on an 4" lift with some(ok maybe a tad more than a little) cutting with the sawzall.Unless you are a poser I would return the body lift and go real lift.Hope you got some gears for those 38's /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.The body mount bolts are going to be a bear to get off,being the truck is 21 years old and fron back east.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

You'll need to remove the front bumper
    notch the front of the opening in the floor so your t-case will shift all the way into low range
    grind the back bolts that are welded in Also, you will have to cut the springs on the bottom of your tailgate
    You may also need to buy a longer gas tank filler tube
    relocate some of the wiring in the frame

The above are all things my 3" body lift did NOT require-

What mine DID require- was to extend the linkage for the transfer case- BUT it wasn't 4LO that was effected- it was 4HI...

Cut the fan shroud in half...not a big deal.

I am not a person to go cutting up perfectly good sheet metal- so if your's isnt rusty, you may not want to either...

Find someone that has the same vehicle as you that has already done this lift- as the transfer case deal is different for each one...
    I was ready to cut my floor, until I learned that on my tcase I don't have to...would have sucked to do that!

Brandy