Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going Hybrid!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Well, this past weekend's snow run was the last I'll take in my bulky K5 - 'Tis time to trim the phat!

I've located a couple of S-10 Pickup Cab's and have begun the thought process of how this rig will turn out.

Tyler Birkey knows eeezackly how I will build it too! Ever since I saw Beau Byrom's rig at Mudstock, I have flipped through the many pics I took of his rig. He has since rolled this beauty, so I'll steal his concepts and take them a little further! Here's a pic of Beau's rig, shortly before the roll!

http://www.4wheelingplus.com/images/Pic-6.jpg

He started out with a 2+2 1 Ton 4x4 and shortened the frame - I'll be using my current frame and drivetrain. He installed a clean S-10 cab on the frame and hacked out the front portion of the fenders. I might steal some ideas from White Knight for the front tubework. The cab sits nearly perfectly centered front to back on the frame. There will be an intergral roll cage inside the cab. Planning on welding in the "Watson Console" look as well as the "V" uprights in between the A-Pillar (like Watson's). It will likely get Half-Door treatment someday.

The rear bed section will be made from Aluminum Diamond Plate and will be covered by a second roll bar/cage that coveres the fuel cell, tool box and cooler storage.

Overall, I think this will be much more fun on the trails. I will also lower the truck a little to keep the CG down for uphill and offcamber situations. It will be leaf sprung for the first building stage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frisbie - get that garage cleaned out, we've got some tubework to do! We will work out payment arrangements later /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Will Work for Fabwork....

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I thought you would say you were going gas/electric.

3. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

have you seen that what-ya-ma-call-it kit that bolts on a frame like yours. Can't think of the name right now...but it is a buggy-like setup w/ four seats, a full body, yet huge tire clearance. Just a thought.
    Ernest

4. Mudzer

Yeah, but I'm keeping the whole GM theme brother! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

how much weight do you plan on saving?

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that was a hell of a rig, cant beat running 44s with NO LIFT, having awesome visibility, and much less weight.

Tyler

7. Mudzer

No way I can be sure at this point. I'll get numbers prior to and after the swap!

The key is, I will be saving weight and having a lower CG.

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, that was a hell of a rig, cant beat running 44s with NO LIFT, having awesome visibility, and much less weight.

Tyler

[/ QUOTE ]

at some point you want some lift to get the junk off the rocks.

4-6" lift with 44's will get the belly up and keep the firewall from interfearing.

9. Mudzer

Or, you could build a custom doubler (I did) and get a flat belly pan and gain that 4-6" back over a standard doubler. How much does yours hang down? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will leave my current 6" lift intact for a while, then see about removing leaves to soften up the ride. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Think about it, he would have about the same frame to ground clearance as say a truck with 4" lift and 37s or so, plus with the s10 body i dont think he had any problem with firewall clearance.

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

looking back... i kind of wish i would have done this...

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

s-10s are small inside... why not go full exo instead of full internal cage? thats what I plan on doin when i go s-10. At any rate, good luck... and take LOTS of pics of the build-up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've located a couple of S-10 Pickup Cab's

[/ QUOTE ]

What are people paying for s-10 cab's? I might go this route to shed some size and weight.

14. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    Taking leafs out sounds like a good plan. IT will give you a long spring with lots of droop. How low can you really go with your current steering setup ?? Anything below four inchs and maybe a flatter draglink would be used, then maybe a different engine crossmember to clear a flat link ?
    How did that guy do his steering ? With stock leafs, i dont see room to do crossover. And with the twisty trails in Fulton and such, you gotta have it.
    Let me know if you will be around friday night or saturday.

Blake

15. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Make sure you keep us up to date on the project...pics...pics....pics /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pix and pix and more pix... especially of how you solve tradition going-hybrid problems like custom body mounts, front clip mods and all that jazz. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

17. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Good luck! You will be happy when you are done. Couple of hints- make your own body to frame mounts (don't bother adapting to your frame, saves time), use a Sub frame (straight and light)if you want to lengthen wheelbase (I used Blazer frame with S-10 Blazer body, my brother used Sub shortened to 115" with S-10 Ext. cab, I wish mine was that long, it makes difference), if you keep S-10 core support you have options for smaller and lighter radiators (check JTR.com), I would do exo cage (more room inside and offers body protection from pesky rocks, and take advantage of body off frame to any chassis mods (sooo much easier).