Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going junkyarding tomorrow, any tips??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Sep 11, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I am taking a day off tomorrow for numerous reasons /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, one being doing some junkyard shopping for my K5 project. I am looking for the following:

Dana 60
    14 Bolt - got one already, but if it matches the Dana 60 gears
    SM465 tranny
    NP205 t-case
    6.2L diesel flywheel, bellhousing
    complete manual tranny pedal set-up
    manual steering column parts
    manual tranny hump
    crappy 8 lugs and tires for moving my project once it's on tons /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    etc...

Any suggestions on model years, common broken parts to look for, etc...?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

can;t say for your area but I know here that list would be a GOOD LUCK. Local yards know whats up with that stuff and pull it when it comes in and hide it away and charge a lot to people that bother to ask if they have it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Once you start getting some prices from the wrecking yard, you may be better off looking for a beat 1 ton that matches most of your description. Around here for about the Dana 60 and 205 I'd be at $1500. Easily $3000 if I bought it all from a 'yard.

Never know, you might find a one ton at the yard that has most everything you want, and they could give you a deal on multiple parts, but I doubt it.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

too late, i went to that yard yesterday and got everything on your list......

but really, the most i ever find is the small stuff like bolts, trim, door stuff, etc. Rear ends can be picked up on ebay pretty cheap, just make sure they are near you so you can pick it up, freight is a bi_ch.

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Prepare for the unexpected find, as in lot's of tool's to get that hard to find D60, and the 14 out of their rusted confine's. If you don't think you'll need that tool, bring it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is nothing worse than having what you want at hand, but not having the proper stuff yo get it out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

stay focused. the last time i whenbt to the wrecking yard i looked at a truck and it had an inline six. Then i started looking to see how many other chevy sixes there were and i forgot what i was there for /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If the junkyard is like the ones I frequent here in the northeast,better bring a can of brakekleener or hornet spray--bald faced wasps are in their glory in all those junks! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.And if your down south,watch out for the rattlesnakes! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI agree its hard to stay focused in the boneyard--I usually end up wishing the truck I'm stripping for parts was mine,instead of the one I'm driving!--I've seen several nicer than mine junked because someone lost the title,or went to jail,its such a waste it makes me sick!. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah, dont wear nice clothes, and dont pull up in a brand new tahoe. Seriously, act and look like a broke ass working man that is intelligent but doesn't have much money. Yes, this makes a ton of difference. And at small backwoods wrecking yards as with inspection stations, it always helps to be ready to buy something at 4PM on Friday with cash in hand. Often the price is much lower and there's no tax involved. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Hehe. Anytime I go to the salvage yard I go prepared. Always a lower price when I pull parts myself so I take our shop truck. I load the full size craftsman toolchest and strap it in. I strap in my cutting torch cylinders and a 5 gal jug of water in case the weeds catch. With a liftgate and crane any heavy lifting is taken care of. And often I can get a good grand worth of parts in the truck and the owner will glance out the office window and say $50 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Bee spray is a good idea. I also take a big vinyl mat to lay on and my jug of hand cleaner for the ride home. A salvage yard trip for me is an all day excursion so I even pack a lunch /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

local yards won't let us drive in or else I'd do pretty much all teh same.

11. steelsoldiers

Well, here goes. The first yard I went to said, "Man, all we got is two-wheel-drives." /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Moving right along, the next yard I went to had plenty of 4x4s, but they were all 1/2 tons except two 1-ton dually wreckers, and they didn't want to part them out. I did find a '79 with the complete clutch pedal assembly, bell housing, SM465, NP205 combo. The tranny shifter was missing and the windshield was out so there is a good chance that tranny has some water in it. The NP205 was laying in the floorboards covered in schmutz /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I had to scrape a 1/2" of crap off of the tag to read it. Still I figured what the heck, I'll ask how much. The guy said $750 for the whole shooting match. Not too bad for junkyard prices, but still higher than I wanted to pay. I told him I would sleep on it a while, just in case I can't find a better deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Now, that $2500 OBO '85 K30 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif is starting to look real good. I'll watch the ad bulletin for another week or so and see what turns up. I may be giving the guy a call back. Thanks for the tips y'all.

Chris

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bring all your tools. Those ones you think Eh i won't need em... You will later. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then pay the $1 to rent a wheelbarrow.
    Don't loan yer tools to anyone that asks. Last time i was there i let a guy use a socket and he ended up giving me a speed wrench in exchange... Then i had the good karma goin so I let another guy borrow 2 wrenches, and i had to go find him to get my tools back. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Look at the pricelist before you go to the counter to pay for anything... I called a pair of axles "uh drivehsafts" one time and got them for $10 cheaper or something like that...
    ...If its a part you know you won't be bringing it back refuse the exchange policy on it to save a few bucks, Then complain about how they want too much. Try and talk em down. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, here goes. The first yard I went to said, "Man, all we got is two-wheel-drives." /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Moving right along, the next yard I went to had plenty of 4x4s, but they were all 1/2 tons except two 1-ton dually wreckers, and they didn't want to part them out. I did find a '79 with the complete clutch pedal assembly, bell housing, SM465, NP205 combo. The tranny shifter was missing and the windshield was out so there is a good chance that tranny has some water in it. The NP205 was laying in the floorboards covered in schmutz /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I had to scrape a 1/2" of crap off of the tag to read it. Still I figured what the heck, I'll ask how much. The guy said $750 for the whole shooting match. Not too bad for junkyard prices, but still higher than I wanted to pay. I told him I would sleep on it a while, just in case I can't find a better deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Now, that $2500 OBO '85 K30 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif is starting to look real good. I'll watch the ad bulletin for another week or so and see what turns up. I may be giving the guy a call back. Thanks for the tips y'all.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

750 was a good price? Must be where I live, I went to get an I6 motor for our 68 jeep pickup, the donor the guy showed me to had a buick 350 in it. I said that won't work. He says take it and the tranny. I say I'll need the Tcase driveshafts and both front and rears (I wanted the 4.56 gears /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif).....$150 if I pull it. It was a dog on the highway with 4.56 gears and 31" tires but went on a lot of trails hunting. We sold that truck 3 years later and to my knowledge it is still crawling the woods hauling logs for a mill with the same drivetrain. Maybe those parts aren't that rare but unless the part I'm asking about is for a rice burner or rare antique it's usually pretty cheap here.

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think i got the best tip of all. all the other second best tips have been covered.
    the best tip is this... BUY ME SOMETHING! like a ford D60 out of a 78 or 79 F250...

ok, im kidding... kind of...
    But what everybody else said is true.
    Grant

15. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]

750 was a good price? Must be where I live, I went to get an I6 motor for our 68 jeep pickup, the donor the guy showed me to had a buick 350 in it. I said that won't work. He says take it and the tranny. I say I'll need the Tcase driveshafts and both front and rears (I wanted the 4.56 gears /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif).....$150 if I pull it. It was a dog on the highway with 4.56 gears and 31" tires but went on a lot of trails hunting. We sold that truck 3 years later and to my knowledge it is still crawling the woods hauling logs for a mill with the same drivetrain. Maybe those parts aren't that rare but unless the part I'm asking about is for a rice burner or rare antique it's usually pretty cheap here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, $750 was not good, I was hoping for around $300 for the whole mess, especially since the tranny and t-case were probably going to require rebuilds. The going price for a tranny in our local ad trader is about $100, but I was hoping to get the whole package from one truck so I know that everything goes together. Considering how bad the junkyards usually want to rape me, $750 was reasonable. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I bought my 14-bolt from a yard in Memphis, TN for $75. They didn't know squat about anything but cars. It was nice because around here they know they can squeeze you real good. Most rednecks hold on to their 4x4 parts and will them to their kids just for that reason. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A new ad bulletin comes out today, so hopefully my dream K30 parts truck will be in there for $500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If it is, you had better stand in line at 5 A.M. to get the trader before anybody else.... because a $500 K30 would be sold in the first day, if not the first few hours that the issue is out.