Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going Mad!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eclipse, Mar 1, 2006.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I hate having to put up an advice thread but I'm having a hard time with this. I've had my 85 K10 for almost 6 years now and I'd never planned on selling it. My dad bought it for me when I graduated highschool and since then I've painted it twice, lifted it, and put two motors in it.

For the last year or two I've wanted to swap it to 3/4ton for a few reasons, so it has a stronger 14ff rearend, lower gearing (has 3.08s) and so I can tow with it. I've figured out what its going to cost me for axles that have been gone through, I dont want old parts on my DD and the cost of new wheels and tires. Also the first paint job I did was black and I would like to go back to black, the current dark blue did not turn out well at all. For some of the major things I'd like to do, after that there are alot of minor things to do.

I've wanted a K30 crewcab srw ever since I barrowed a friends. It would seem more practical to me to pick up a truck that is already 1ton and setup to tow (my 77 K20) and have the extra cab space than it would be to fix up my 85 k10.

I already have 3 trucks, my 85 k10, my 77 k20 offroad truck and my 84 cab/chassis project. I really can't afford to add another one. Yesterday a guy who just fixed up a 84 crewcab with fresh black paint and a 4in lift was talking about selling it, then he changed his mind after I had already gotten in the mind set of selling my K10. So now I'm deciding weather to continue my plans with my K10 of making it a k20 or get it ready to put a sign in the window and search for a crewcab. I haven't sold a truck yet, and I hadn't planned on selling one. What should I do :(:(:(

[​IMG]

http://www.precision-offroad.com/projects.html

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Up grade to 3/4 ton and call it good. Don't let go of your pride and joy :bow:
    thanks,
    James

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMO..............first/Dad's present trucks/cars are special. Put it on blocks and cover it up. Buy the Crew Cab. Ya won't get that much selling it, and years down the road, ya can still have your "first truck/Dad's present"!

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

If you have a 3/4 ton truck for off road now, and you're building another "offroad truck" why don't you ust the 3/4 ton axles you have now to replace your 10 bolts and then put the 10 bolts on the k20, sell it then buy your crewcab:D
    Do you have any "ties" to the k20?
    Problem solved:wink1:

5. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

dont sell it ! if you do one of these days you will wish you kep it. just upgrad to 3/4 ton. dont sell it.:D

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

exactlyyyy... do this put the 10bolts under the k20 sell it and get the one u want

7. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

77 K20 has a little history, I got it for free with a blown 350 from a friend of my parents, I had seen that him drive it as a kid thinking it was cool. But i have less attachment to it than my 85. The only reason I haven't robbed the 3/4ton out of it (has crossed my mind many time) is because its my play rig, and every spring Mountain Explorer gets me to go mud bogging with him.

Any who... good news, I talked with the owner of the crewcab today, I'm buying his old 35x12.50 on 16.5 black wheels for 350 and then getting some axles and keeping the 85 :D

Another crazy reason not to sell my 85. In november I just completed putting in a rebuilt 350 with 10.5:1 compression and over hauled my engine comparent, pulling the front clip and repainted everything up there.

8. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Here is the crewcab that tempted me....

03_01_06_1602.jpg

9. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Are you still going to get it? Looks sweet to me:D

10. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

nope he changed his mind and bought those 38" cepeks you see there and I'm going to try to get the 35 bfg mts he took off.