Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going oil burner

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Grim-Reaper, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I was given plenty of time to put some thought to where I want to go with my wheeling rig the last week. I was tossing around the idea of a diesel Mog. Well the mog I'm interested in for a wheeling rig would have to be trailered. The other Mog I want would be just short of CDL. Neither are as practical as old Dollar for the majority of my needs and then there is a cost issue.

SO I am burning some oil in my 350 and I also hae a nose up stall issue.

I ran a cross a complete 87 Deisel burb being parted for VERY cheap. Motor is supose to be good. It was involved in a wreck is why it's being parted. Tranny is gone as is the radiator.

Engine, hydro, plumbing and electrical is all there. This is starting to make sense. 22mpg trail rig would be sweet. I'm use to the slow already the 4.10's on 35's are goo for deisel. Hell this would make Dollar my second most echonomical to drive rig. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dollar is about to be a oil burner.

So how big of a problem am I going to have with a TH350 with a stock gas engine stall torque converter?
    Will a stock 4 core handle cooling this or is the Deisel wide 4 core mandatory?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Engine, hydro, plumbing and electrical is all there. This is starting to make sense. 22mpg trail rig would be sweet. I'm use to the slow already the 4.10's on 35's are goo for deisel. Hell this would make Dollar my second most echonomical to drive rig.

Dollar is about to be a oil burner.

So how big of a problem am I going to have with a TH350 with a stock gas engine stall torque converter?
    Will a stock 4 core handle cooling this or is the Deisel wide 4 core mandatory?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll really like the 6.2. Couple of things though...if you keep the 4.10's an OD tranny would be a big benefit. A 350 is just fine at 2700 rpm (65 mph) and a 6.2 will live with that cruise rpm too...but...the 6.2 is much happier cruising at 2000 rpm. At 2700 rpm cruise you probably won't get much over 15 mpg. I currently have my truck set up running that kind of rpm's and it's the only thing I dislike about the truck right now. It's loud for one, and I know I've left 3-7 mpg on the table. Power wise it'll do great with that gearing and tire size though.

The large 4 core rad may well provide enough cooling, but the hose locations are backwards to the diesel (I'm almost 100% sure) plus the 4 core you have does not have provisions for the engine oil cooler lines. I'd suggest finding a 6.2 rad and shroud and rad mounts (if those parts are also missing)

The TH350 should live behind the 6.2, but I'm unsure how the vacuum modulator would be made to work. A diesel TC would be better than the gasser version too.

When I did my 6.2 swap I robbed every diesel specific trinket there was off our donor slug.

Engine bay wiring harness
    Throttle cable (much longer)
    Rad and associated parts
    Hydro boost (you might need a later model steering box for the fittings to work)
    Second battery tray and associated wiring
    Fuel filters and mounts (mine is on the firewall)

The fuel supply line location works perfectly for the 6.2, the lift pump is in the exact location that the sbc fuel pump is. I flushed my tank and lines and hooked it up.

The motor mounts work and don't need any modification, bell bolts right up too.

I also robbed the guage cluster with the Glow plug ("Wait to start") light and the water in fuel light as well as the fuel gauge that says "Diesel fuel only" and swapped the under dash wiring while I was at it. I also got rid of all my AC junk at the same time.

The fuel filler neck may need modifying, although your truck is old enough that a diesel nozzle should fit without any issues. Mine had the small "unleaded fuel" inlet restrictor with the flap. I just punched all that out.

I'm pretty sure there is at least one member here running a TH350 behind his diesel...I think it's Ducttape. He might be able to shed some light on the details for you.

If you have the time there is a lot of good info in this forum, and because it's not the fastest moving forum here it's all relatively easy to find.

Rene

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the hose hook ups are in the same location. lower is on the pass side upper to the driver. I would do like rene says and get the diesel rad. tranny lines are on the oppisite sides though so you have to rework some things there.

I had 4.10's in mine with the 35's it was fine just wasted fuel on the hiway. I'm switching to 3.73's.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Now you're talking Grim!

I was hoping you would come to your senses and go with the 6.2L!

Casey

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I had not even thought about the modulator problem.

So what OD were the 6.2's running? Was the 700 standing up to them?
    I can run a external cooler on oil. THat's how my 88 Burb is set up. Something like a 19k stack plate tranny cooler should do fine.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 700R-4 was by far the most common OD tranny behind the 6.2. All the Blazers and half tons got it...

The 3/4 ton and one ton pick-ups got either the TH400 or SM 465 and 4.10's commonly.

A 19K stacked plate cooler should work just fine for the oil cooler. For rad size the 6.2 rad holds 25 quarts or more, so if you have a 4 row rad that is pretty close to that you should be OK. Before the 6.2 goes in I would replace the block heater, it's much easier to do when the motor isn't in the truck and they're not expensive (should be under $20). I don't use mine often because it just doesn't get that cold here that often...but when it does get below freezing it makes starts a lot easier.

I'm not sure what kind of exhaust you currently have, but stock the 6.2's got 2.25" duals. They do make diesel specific mufflers, but mostly you want something that won't get all clogged with soot (a glass pack would be a bad idea /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) I run a single Flowmaster at the moment...it was free and I was pretty 'financially embarrassed' at the time.

You should be able to rob all the hydro boost stuff from the 'burb'.

I would consider some sort of sound proofing on the engine side of the firewall. If you have a better look at the 'burb donor you should see a rubber/plastic liner for the firewall. If you can swap that into 'Dollar' too it'll be quieter.

Rene