Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going overboard with spare parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jun 28, 2006.

?

Am I crazy to take a spare transmission?

1. Nah! If you've got the tranny, take it! It isn't that heavy anyways!

15.2%
  2. Just leave it at a dizzy and waterpump, crazy kid!

30.3%
  3. Spare parts? Its a Chevy! What kind of Chevy needs spare parts?!

21.2%
  4. I dance over spare parts naekid in the rain! (I'm looking at you MountainExplorer!)

33.3%
  1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm heading North on a 300 mile trip or so on Friday, but I plan to load and hitch everything up tommorow.

Since I am towing 3 quads, 1 in the back of the truck, and 2 on a dual axle flatbed trailer, I plan on taking a few spare parts.

These include a pair of spare distributers, a water pump --- Annnd, a spare transmission, LOL

The truck has a 700r4, that is mildly built with a shift kit (boost valve so it shifts out of 1st earlier than stock, and firming the rest of the shifts up), kevlar bands, HD sunshell, corvette servo + govenor, and a huge cooler up front, but even though I won't be towing in OD, I still worry about it for a long trip...

Am I crazy to be packing my spare TH350, and the tools needed to swap it out? LOL

What do you guys think? :D

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't bother unless you have a reason to believe yours is gonna go out.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Too much trouble imo.

4. Russell

Thats my problem...

I haven't put more than 2 or 3 thousand miles on this tranny, and don't know it's history, other than the materials used when it was built (given a receipt)

Don't know what kind of mileage it has otherwise, and yes, it does work flawlessly at the moment :)

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 300 mile trip i'd be hard pressed to do much more than check the oil and pack a lunch... :dunno:

Rene

6. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

usualy u can never have too many spare parts...but taking a tranny might be going overboard:D

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree.

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

id carry a spare k30 just in case.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Up to the point of spitting parts, the 700 will get you home.:D

10. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

With the luck I've had lately I'm gonna get a 2-place trailer and start carrying an entire spare parts truck :doah:

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

300 miles....I drive that much a week easy. I wouldnt stress it.

12. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

X2. I might add belts and fluids. Dizzy and H2O pump ? never.
    Spare tranny? Dude, if It's fine at 3000miles, its fine. Worry much?:wink1: :D

13. Russell

Always!

Infact, I probally put 300 miles on today alone running around the city:haha:

I wound up packing a spare dizzy, fuel / water pumps, belts, fluids, spare u-joint and the tools needed to install such accessories :)

All fits behind my seat, and in my tool box (belts & fluids sit in the engine compartment at all times anyways) And yes, I'll be leaving the transmission at home (who wants to bet it blows now :doah:)

This is my first long distance trip with this truck, so I am not 100% sure I trust it as much as I trusted my 80 when she was back on the road. I'll be towing 3 quads and a 1500 lb flatdeck trailer + fuel and tools (which we take anyways incase the boat breaks down) etc at about 55 mph for approx 4.5 hours straight, with some reasonable hills to climb. If she makes the trip there and back, then she'll have earned the same trust I had in my GMC where all I'll do is "check the oil and pack a lunch" :)

14. Russell

Well, I took tRusty's advice, packed a lunch, and checked the oil before leaving, and the old girl performed more than was expected of her :D

About 10 minutes after leaving home, my father pulled over cause the boat was causing some crazy harmonics with the trailer, and making the truck lurch forwards and backwards something fierce. The boat weighs about 3800 lbs or so with all the stuff packed inside while towing, as compared to the 2000 some lbs that my trailer weighed. So, we figured we'd give it a shot, and try switching. My truck pulled the boat almost like it wasn't there, and the dual axle flatbed didn't bounce around like the boat, so the truck wasn't yarded around like before :)

So, the 77 was the hero of the day, and even made the trip with with a whopping milage average of 16 mpg out of OD, loaded to its limit! Only burnt half of my 16 gallon tank :D

Now, we'll see if she'll make it back home next week, lol

15. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

cool, did reading my thread make you think twice about that tranny. I wasn't towing and kept it out of OD on the hills and she still puked on me. Questa grade (I think it's called) is like 6%, what did you all climb? Or did ya'?

-Avery