Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going Really different..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Phyte, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

I am building my blazer different than any I've seen around here. Most people go with 305's, 350's, 383's, 454's, but I want to go classic and put a modded inline 6 in mine. I figure that I can squeeze around 250 horse out of a decently built 6. Right now my 85 has the original 305 that was rated at 160bhp, so I should see a big difference. I won't be towing anything anytime soon, so it should run pretty damn good right? I had one in my first pickup when I turned 16. It was a 72 chevy short wide and it ran great! Also I have a 700r4 with 308 gears(10 bolt). I plan on keeping the 700, but I'm going to put in 4.11 gears. Give me your opinions on this..

Phyte

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My dad used to have a 68 Chev 3/4 ton 2WD long bed with the 250 cid inline 6 and the 4 speed standard with 4.11's and 17" split rim tires. That truck was a horse! [​IMG] A guy where we lived owed my dad some money and to help pay it off he got his brother to rebuild it at his engine shop. Well these guys got pretty carried away with this thing, ported and polished the head, raised the compression and added a performance cam.
    My Dad was a bricklayer and I've personally seen that truck with 6000 lbs+ in the box, towing a 3000 lb trailer. It never complained or had any problems being so overloaded, well other than very light steering[​IMG]. My Dad was terrible for overloading trucks and killed his fair share of Chevy's and Ford's until he got this one.
    We also used it for camping, we had an old 11 1/2' camper for it. Used to take it up into the Rockies and go camping, man that truck was amazing.
    It used to go prety good empty too, it would roast the tires very easily! [​IMG]
    It would be different to see a 6 in a K5. I think Clifford makes a lot of performance goodies for 6 cylnders.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Something like Rene, my father had an '81 Chev 2wd pickup with a 250 straight six. All I can say is what an engine! It had the crankiest carb in the world but it had lots of low end grunt. I'm actually glad to see GM bringing it back in the new 2001 or 2002 Blazer. It was a great engine and was running strong after 13 hard years lugging building materials around. I'd say go for it.

Good Luck with your rebuild
    Brian
    89KBlazer

4. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Now these are the stories I like to hear! I also remembered back in the day my dad and I built a 24 t-bucket sand dune vehicle. That thing flew up and down those dunes without any problem at all. I was kinda worried about the torch side of it, but it sounds like loading up several thousands worth of weight will be no problem. Time to start checking on prices and availability of parts ;)

Phyte

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well think of it this way, Jeep gets an easy 190 hp from their 4.0 liter, I would imagine you could do better with a Chev 6. I think they came as large as 292".
    I also used to have an old 68 F100 ($200 truck) with a 300 cid 6 in it with the 3 on the tree. Top speed 64 MPH. But that thing would not quit, I used to be almost as bad with that truck as my Dad was with his![​IMG] I could'nt get as carried away though, I had little half ton springs and my Dad's Chevy had 1 ton springs swapped in.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

way cool idea!!!!! I used to work for a guy who had a badly beaten chevy dump body....like a late 60's model.. this thing would not die.. it leaked oil, backfired,whined and anything else immaginable..we use to run it WITHOUT ANY OIL for days trying to kill it just so we wouldn't have to drive it anymore,,but no such luck!!! that was a few years ago,,,to this day that truck is STILL running..so if you have any doubts about that motor not being strong enough or lasting than i don't know what else to tell ya'..

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Does anyone see any problems that I might run into? The computer won't be a problem, what about mating it to the 700? It should mount up, but if it doesn't surely someone has made an adapter plate? If not I'll sell the 700 and put a 350/400 in it. Man I'm getting excited now :) I'm going to contact my dad tonight and see if he can hunt me a 250 or even a 292 down. He can always find stuff like that. Plus he has a 4000sq ft. shop for his hobby :) To bad its an 11 hour drive :(.

Phyte

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

My first 4 wheeler was an 81 chevy stepside with a 4 speedtranny and an inline 6 cylinder. God, it was great! But being 21 yrs old I believed that ALL 4x4's HAD to have 8 cylinders in them. Biggest mistake I ever made. From what I remember when I put the v8 in the tranny matched up no problem, I evev used the same starter. I had to remove some towers that the motor mounts rested on though. Good luck, sounds pretty cool

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

9. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thats actually a good idea, I think some blazers came with a 250 on the cheapest package.....(whos got that one?Lol)I saw on a website a pickup with a mild 250 could beat a mild 350. I don't remember what site it was but they also had 3 steps on how to rebuild one also.......just my 2 cents...not that bad of an idea

..........and one time at band camp.........

10. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

The 700 should work fine with the 250, although you will still need the computer to control the lock-up torque converter. When I swapped my 305 for a 350, I did not connect any of the computer stuff to the new engine and the torque converter still lcoks up when it should. When you go out looking for a 250 (or 292) try to find one from '74 or earlier, because '75 and after they had an integral intake/exhaust manifold on the cylinder head, which means your stuck w/the stock exhaust manifold and 1bbl carb. with the earlier engines, you can install a header and 4bbl intake.
    Hope this helps.

Casey 86K5

http://86blazer.coloradok5.com

11. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Great idea Jason.. I had a 72 Nova with a 250inline 6. And powerglide two speed tranny. I couldn't kill that engine.. but the car didn't survive. I used to power-brake the engine.. drop the trans into drive.. and let the tires rip.. That car was awesome.
    So.. here is my thought, how about a vortec v6 out of a late model truck.. I love the 4.3 in my S-10. Quick little terd that truck is.
    I'm pretty sure the swap is possible..
    I'll call for you in the morning and see if anything is available.

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

12. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with your idea Jason. My wife and I have a '67 PU with in-line 250. It's her daily driver and a treat when I get to use it. Great low end and adequate power. RELIABLE. We've owned it for 31 years. When I bought a blazer a few months ago, I thought four old trucks might be too much driveway junk for her. Her comment was lets paint the '67, take the shell off and keep it. What a woman. Great truck too.

13. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Good ideal but stay away from comel head 6's the manifold is part of the head not good,stick with a newer 292ci model they have improvements and Jegs catalog has a 4barrel adapter to install a 600cfi carb and a electonic ignition changeover kit .

14. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Dad had a 67 GMC pickup with several in line 6's. he owned it for 26 years. 3 on the tree. That thing would fly in the 1/8 but stunk for top speed. 90 max but block to block look out.