Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going Rock Rod!!!!!! Which ends?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, May 19, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

In June I'm getting my Rock Rod finally. I'll have to use the separate steering damper mount that Rockstomper has. I'll just throw on a $30 JCWhitney Hackethorn steering damper with it. Which tie rod ends should I use? Should I use the 76 pickup ends or is there something stronger? The point of this is to replace my stock bent tie rod and to make it so that "bent tie rod" will never happen again. Which tie rod ends will be stronger and will they be available at a local auto parts store?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

This is what Steve had to say and a link to the write-up <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/rockrod.shtml>http://www.coloradok5.com/rockrod.shtml</A>
    "For our application, we wanted to eliminate the weaker drivers side end that comes with a stabilizer mounting hole so we went with a shorter left-hand end from a 91 Dodge ¾ ton pickup, part number ES2010L. For the passenger side we used a tie-rod end from an 85 Blazer part number ES2234R with jam nut. After the Rock Rod is adjusted to the proper position the jam nuts are tightened to keep the tie rod from turning and loosing the proper alignment. Because a jam nut is not supplied with the left end (ES2010L) Rockstomper can make one for an extra charge"

Another option is to use Heime(sp?) joints. But you can't get them from a parts store (Granger would have them)

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Ok, I missed that part. But upon further looking into, somebody screwed up big time.
    In the article, it says passenger's side is ES2234R and driver's side is ES2010L.
    At the bottom of the writeup page, the part numbers are reversed. Now the driver's side is ES2334R and the passenger's side is ES2010L.
    So, which is it??

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ok, I messed up, but either way the parts are still ES2234R and ES2010L

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

No prob, so I guess it don't matter what side the ends go on as long as I get those numbers? I'm gonna call Rockstomper and get a price on the stabilizer mount when I get back from Penn and call my local Advance to see if they have those tie rod end part numbers. I'll try NAPA too. Thanks.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I know people aren't going to like this link, but this is the write I used. It also specifies the part numbers needed <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/rockstomper/>http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/rockstomper/</A>

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think the steering stabilizer mount from Rock Stomper was $25.
    I went to the local Autozone and bought the same ends Steve used in his write-up. I got them with lifetime warranties. The Dodge end had to be ordered, but was there in about 2 days. Very impressed with the tie rod as a whole, well worth it.
    As far as what steering stablizer to use, I don't think it really matters. They are 50/50 diff and I don't think you could tell difference between a Rancho9000 and a Procomp ES1000 (cheapo) as a stabilizer.

-- Mike