Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going rockwells, advice....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Dec 20, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Last time out I managed to kill another 14 bolt, and being that my 14 bolt was just a 4.10 welded rear, its nothing special.

My front is just a locked 44, cross over ect

im tired of breaking shafts and now im at a breaking point of just building it, when I factor buying a dana 60... 1,000 bucks, locker 550.00, cross over/high steer, shafts, new gears, rebuild..

the heck with it, I want to go BIG

I was getting ready to 4 link the rear anyways and ditch the frame, so now its back to the drawing board math wise and after a few trig headaches ill be ok..:crazy:

im guessing I wont be dating for a while because this is sounding exspensive..

rockwells
    pinion breaks, or 1 ton rotors on all 4 corner conversion
    upgraded shafts
    locker up front, spooled rear
    4 link
    steering
    custom rims
    yada yada yada

any imput, links, down falls, ideas..once again I want to rip the truck apart, seems to happen every year:doah:

2. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

If your breaking 14 bolts regularly stock dueces are not going to hold much better especially if you pull them off of a 50 year old truck and don't rebuild them $$$$$, how are you not breaking the 44

3. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i'm jealous, does that help?:D

seriously though,

pinion breaks are good for off road, not good for on road. 4 wheel disks would be better if you want to drive this on the street.

why upgrade the shafts? not a flame, just asking. if you're "only" running 38s i think you would be fine with the stock shafts. (maybe you're planning bigger tires, but you didn't mention that)

advice - IMO don't get carried away with custom rims. get an inexpensive steel rim and use that. IMO don't get carried away with "bling bling" rims.

you might be able to get the stock tires and wheels when you get the axles. cut the center out of the 15 rims and weld in the deuce and a half wheel centers. maybe you could put on 8 bolt hubs...

i'm not saying you should do all this stuff, just trying to think of some things that will save you money.:laugh:

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

how are u killing the 14b shafts?

5. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

ehhe... Wider really is better... That's my non-narrowed, hubs-out rockwell with 16.5x14 wheels with 7" backspacing... 96" from the outer edges of the rims... Good thing the legal limit here in FL is 102".. got room for some tires still.... And yeah, it's been and is going to be expensive, but what ain't that's worth it....
    If you want some real beef and have a big wallet, Overson (not spelled right) Engineering is making 2" alloy shafts for these things, among other things...
    [​IMG]

You're gonna gain height as well.... Minimum of 8" lift and some bumpstops to keep the center chunk out of your oilpan... The centerline of my axles in the following picture is at 24" from the floor and those are 12" lift springs...

[​IMG]

Fortunately I have a 12' door on the shed, or I'd never get it out... A rockcrawler, my truck will never be... But then again this is florida... Swamps, ponds, mudpits, sandy trails and beaches.... Oh yeah, and tug-o-war....

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

For when too much is not enough.....

http://www.ouversonengineering.com/

2" ALLOY REPLACEMENT AXLE SHAFT FOR REAR 2 1/2 TON ROCKWELL

[​IMG]

THIS IS A TRUE 2" DIAMETER ALLOY AXEL SHAFT. FINALLY YOU CAN HAVE THE STRENGTH OF A FIVE TON SHAFT BUT WITHOUT THE WEIGHT. THIS IS NOT A DIRECT BOLT IN REPLACEMENT. YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A SPOOL OR LOCKER AND TWO DRIVER FLANGES AND YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO HAVE YOUR TUBES AND CARRIER HALVES BORED THROUGH OUVERSON ENGINEERING AND MACHINE OR YOUR LOCAL MACHINE SHOP.

7. supersize75k5

for the rims was looking into staz works or the hummer rims, but I have more options with the 8 lug conversion. Not to sound cocky but cost is not really a concern as the axles will be built before going into the rig, so waiting for the right rims is ok as well as buying the right parts. I noticed DP's thread today and it does sound very apealing and more simplistic to 4 link the rear and do springs up front for now.

both oversion eng. and usa 6x6 sell kits/brackets ect so I have options, A local guy here in phoenix runs narrowed rockwells on a early bronco and he also runs the 46 inch tires but has had serious chunking on only 4 trips. I'm going to take a look at his set up in the next couple weeks and post some pics

for axels, most breakage I read on pirate seems to be in rear axles with steering and with a decent motor. I will at a minimum upgrade to the 16 spline aftermarket shafts.

this weekend I yanked out my motor, tranny and t-case from my rig and I am trying to talk my self into putting the big block back in..

it is very temping though to just put some chromo shafts and nice u-joints in my 44 and get by.. but the rockwells sound like a good reason to go back to a big block:D

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

x2.

9. supersize75k5

14 breaks thus far,

1st.. gov lock with 38's, big block and nutral drops.. no surprise
    2nd..14 shaft multiple j-turns in reverse on pavment:eek1:
    3rd..bent/wristed axle tube, combo of jumping and big block/nuetral drops
    4th.. ring and pinion, had a carrier bolt back, improper install/maintinence

keep in mind anything mechanical will fail, add that to a rear axle out of a work truck with who knows how many years of abuse..then throw large tires, a big block and a pinch of bad luck, maintenence, stupidity..ect

it makes sence:D

i just want some beef, keep in mind I like to drive my rig of the street.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think that pretty much explains it:D But it is your truck Rocks are kewl anyhow:D .

Ira

11. Silver84k5

1st.. gov locks dont count as breakage
    2nd.. pavement?
    3rd.. truss.... and id think a tranny would let got before a 14bolt
    4th.. "mproper install/maintinence" nuff said...

rockwells are cool... but YOU dont need them....

12. supersize75k5

1:haha: agreed..

2pavement?.. my truggy clocks more miles then some daily drivers

3, no truss, and the tranny lived up to my abuse and is still alive in another rig "t-400"

4, I didn't install it, and I agree it could have been avoided

i already know I dont need rockwells, but when you factor upgrades

-dana 60 1000.00
    -shafts and ctms 1600ish?
    -gears plus install 500 ish?
    -high steer, cross overect$$
    -rebuild of king pins, seals bearings ect

ive already had a built 60 under my truck, for the cost I would just like to go big with a rockwell and get it over with,
    -

13. Silver84k5

ya you got a point... rockwells are cheap insurance... im just always leary about oil pan clearance when i think of rockwells...

toploaders are badass for driveline angles, the gears rock, and the price is right

i was just stirrin the pot... :P

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

So you did get the crossov er on the d44 ?

Cool , so my flattop is coming back right ? :D

15. supersize75k5

she's ready, also what the heck does marv's signature mean?:confused:

16. supersize75k5

oil clearance....hahaha I laugh in the face of oil pans...

my new friend will be Josh the red bump stop though:D

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Why not get alloy shafts for the 14 bolt and do a truss? And by the time you buy rockwells and all the goodies, you could have gotten a bolt in dana 60 with all upgraded parts.

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A comment on the CB I made coming back from Moab . I never really adjusted my carb , and the closer we got to home , I.E lower altitude , the better it ran . But hey , it made it there and back with a full bodied and only with a 305 , which is surprising because they suck and anyone with one needs to rip it out right away :D

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Dude, good timing to go Rockwells. Randy Ouverson has recently lowered prices on several of his 2" 47 spline rockie upgrade parts. I say "go for it". I'd like to build a buggy someday with Ouversons parts... he has guys running 1000hp+ and 66" tires on his shafts with no breakage. Thats some crazy chiaot. :grin:

j

20. supersize75k5

I just got off the phone with randy,

hands down a awesome guy!:D He had some great engeering insight and was fun to talk to, the dude has crazy ideas such as aluminum rocky centers:eek1:

anyways,

thoughts are after my conversation

8 lug conversion, 650sh per corner with willwood goodies= 2600.00:eek1:
    16 spline rear shafts.400,
    rear spool 275

the whole front shaft kit..1200 with joints
    cast lock outs for front 600
    locker up froint 600
    chrome spray paint to show the bling 14.89

quick math is 5689.89..

not including custom 20inch rims from john est 485 a piece for a custom 2 piece double bead lock rim with rock rings and a custome pattern

+
    2000 in rims
    +
    1000 bucks woth of 46 inch tires
    +
    1 arm and two legs for shipping

8600.00:eek1:

plus some coil overs, est 1400 for rear only

+4link parts and links..1000 for quality " I guess"

11000.00 plus