Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going S10 Hybrid!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshua632, Nov 4, 2004.

1. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Well after all the work to narrow the front of my rig I think I'm going hybrid. I know what a waste. What I need if anyone has pics of one set up with a cab and bed. I'm going to drive this thing so I don't want to mount the cab in the middle of the frame and tube everything out. I just want to center the tires in the wheel wells and mount everything. I really would like to see some close ups of the engine compartment and the body mounts. I have already built a s10 blazer with a V8 so I know my motor will fit under the hood.

2. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Re: Going Hybrid!

Hello?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Dude you're not going to get an answer in less than an hour. Relax and people will post up.

Check out www.pirate4x4.com and search for "cab truck" and "truggy" and you'll find some interesting photos.

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What he said^^^^^

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Going by the title of this post,I thought it was about putting an electric motor in a K5!!. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Sorry but by the time I made a second post 39 people had looked at this without a single comment. I just put the Hello? to bump it back to the top so hopefully the right person would see it. I have searched pirate and most of what I found there was the extreme rock buggies and thats not what I am going for. The truck I am buying is in very good shape so I want this to turn out like a regular s10 with sfa and a v8.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A couple of my buddies have done this and kept most of the original S-10 body.

You will want to have the body moved slightly rearward to allow clearance between the front tires and firewall.......there's just not much to trim on an S-10 body in this area without doing custom firewall work. Otherwise you will need lot's of lift to clear even 33" tires.

If you want an S-10 pickup and bed, I'm not sure how the wheelbase will work out on a K5 chassis. One of the guys mentioned above has an S-10 Blazer body on a 1st gen chassis, the rear wheels are pretty centered in the rear wheel tubs with the front wheels slightly forward of the front fenders. I'm thinking that shortbed pickup S-10 would have a slightly longer wheelbase???? If this is true than the rear fender openings would not line up with the rear tires.

8. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

When I built my old S10 blazer I only ran a 3in body lift to clear 33" tires. I hacked up my fenders alittle but nothing too severe and the rear wheel wells were fine. From what I can find I know the wheel bases are with-in 2 inches of each other so I'm not too concerned with it fitting I just want to see what everyone else has done for body mounts and such.

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to bring it to the next Indiana get-together. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

I plan to have this done within the next couple of weeks. I have a great group of buddies that can help me knock this out in no time. Assuming I ever get a day off. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

TTT

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I just started my body swap. I am putting an S-15 ext cab onto my K5 frame. I wont be using any of the box, the cab (concievably) will end right at the front of the current wheel openings. I dont know any of the other problem areas yet... just started pulling the front clip off the K5 today, maybe tub will be off by next week hopefully, then get the other cab on.
    Good luck, post pics.
    Mike

13. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

It would be interesting to see some updates of how this went. A couple of people I know talk about it alot. It seems like a massive project if you were to try and keep it road legal. But it also seems like a smart idea.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

why not keep your K5, and SFA the S10 as money and time allow. your K5 is 3/4 tonned, do you still have the 1/2 ton axles? if so, an S10 should survive no problem on 35s with them. i have a spare TH350/203 combo, and a spare 465/205 combo laying around. hell, in the next few weeks, im probably going to have another set of 3/4 ton axles laying around too.

15. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Cause I don't have room for two rigs. So I'm combining them both into one kick a$$ rig.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i dont have room for 2 rigs either, so i have 3. and a Grand Am that needs fixing. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have room for as many as I want, but I'm running out of room in my mother's heart. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hybrids rock, thats what I'm doin. Of course, it'll take me a year to do the swap cause I am gonna make the cab full on pimp and bend up lots of tube. Anyway, search here and on pirate4x4.com's chevy forum, this has been discussed...

j

19. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Thats cool but I want to make mine look factory with big tires and big fender flare. I will take alot of pictures and do a detailed write up for those who want to see how I do it.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pics are always good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Mines going to be a long term project cause I am gonna do a whooole lot of custom stuff and I'll prolly end up doing my TBI swap at the same time so its gonna be a while. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

seems like lots of people mount the cab a little high and further back on the frame that I want to. I plan on doing some pretty extensive fire-wall mods so that, hopefully, i can mount the body as low and far forward as possible.

j