Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going to a 12 bolt rear, are discs worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K30Blazer, Oct 14, 2005.

1. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 10 bolt rear and will be installing a 12 bolt real soon. Is it worth the disc conversion? I have never really had a problem with my drums? What am I looking at cos wise?

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

probably a lot. wait til you break it and invest in a 14bff w/discs.

3. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Going from 10 to 12 bolt won't gain much. But I've got rear disc on my 12 bolt and the setup kept my axle in and my wheel on when I did snap a shaft.

4. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

my '73 with 12 bolt drums stops much worse than the '78 14 b ff with drums- so drums aren't necessarily the culprit. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money ona 12 bolt disc conversion, because if your tires are big enough to need discs than you should be running a 14 b anyway. That's my opinion

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats on one of my future to do lists , just to hold the axles in as mentioned before . My drums work fine for now .

As for my 12 bolt drums , which were earlier and skinnier , I don't run them , I gave them away for beer .

I simply ( with friends help ) undid the backing plates off my original 10 bolt , undid the clips holding the hardlines to axle , and lifted them up whole , dropped axle down , put 12 bolt in , attached 10 bolt brakes without opening a line :D

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

That's why I would like to do it, too.

My biggest concern is the parking brake. If I do the disc brake swap, I want to make sure I still have the parking brake and I haven't heard too many success stories getting that to work.