Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to a 6", can I use the RS5000 shocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jan 18, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Going to a 6\", can I use the RS5000 shocks?

Ok, here's the deal. I'm looking to go with a 6" Superlift and 16-35-15 Boggers here in about a month. I was wondering, the Rancho RS5000 shocks that are on my truck now are for a 4" lift. Now, they are said to be able to go up to a 6" lift. Is this true or not, because quite frankly, I don't want to have to buy 6 new shocks. These shocks are only 2 months old and it would be a waste to get new ones. Let me know. Thanks.

Alex

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. BLzr4x4ngkid

Re: Going to a 6\", can I use the RS5000 shocks?

Help? Is there anyway that I can take a shock off and see if it will extend to accomidate a 6" lift? I'm not sure how far the shocks need to extend for a 6" lift, because I didn't really pay attention the last time I lifted a truck. Help would be appreciated. HAHAHA Thanks

Alex

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

These guys know the answer: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gorancho.com/tech_assistance.htm>http://www.gorancho.com/tech_assistance.htm</A>. They'll probably want to know your current part number.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Sorry , but NO you can not use any of the chevy rancho schocks for a 4 " lift,
    on a 6" lift off-road. for a show/street only yes, but not if you go off-raod.-

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

Uhh, so what are you telling me? I can't go off-roading with the shocks I have? Hmmm, guess I'll be getting a 6" lift sooner than I thought. Are you sure, if Rancho makes lift kits, then why they hell would the not be capable of going off-road? HAHAHA Interesting. Thanks for the help. Later.

Alex

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Assuming the truck has no lift now, you could do the following for a quick check. With the truck setting level, mark how far out the shaft is extended. Then pull the shock off the truck and extend it out another 6 inches...this will be how far they will be extended with the lift. Next, measure how much more travel is left in the shock. If you can only pull the shock out a couple more inches than you might be in trouble.
    Overall, I'm guessing that the shocks for a 4" lift would work on a 6" lift.....for mostly street driving. If the shock doesn't have enough travel they will severly limit the articulation of the suspension when off-road.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

In plain english, they are to short. I have a 4" lift with Rancho 5000 shocks on my '90 Jimmy, when the suspension is fully extended the shock is very close to being fully extended. What the Executioner said is correct. You might get away with driving around on the street with it, but I would plan on breaking a shock or a mount if you do try it. I guarantee you will rip the driver's side rear mount right out of the frame if you try it. Since you said 6 shocks I am assuming you have quad front shocks. Use a single shock, or buy two that are designed to be run as dual shocks. A single shock will save you some bucks and give you a better ride.

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

Yeah it is set up for quad shocks, but it currently is only running one. I have decided that I'm just going to stick with the 4" lift that's already on it and go ahead and drop my 3" body on it. I already have the body lift and I can't sell it for what I paid, so I might as well just use it. Thanks for the info.

Alex