Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going to a U-pull it ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88GLAZER, Sep 7, 2003.

1. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

I am going to a u pull it and I am going to try to find 14 bolt ff and a d60 or 44, I have some knowledge about these, but I really need to know what to look for, even though it 75 bucks an axle I really cant take chances. LOW funds. Also I think my np208s' chain is warn, getting a lot of clunking. Is there any other tcase's that would work. how would i correct that problem. OH! What year truck should the axles come off of.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If you can still find them on the vehicle, look for a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup from '73-about '83/'84.
    Biggest thing is, bring a tape measure and some muscles...wrestling these axles around is tough work. You'll want the spring perches on the 14 bolt to be 42.5" center-to-center. Take a look at how the shocks mount on your truck and take a mental picture. If you find the axles on a 4x4 truck, you'll be fine with the shock mounts, but if you find a 14 bolt in a pile, you'll need to get the spring perches and shock mounts right. Beyond that, just look for the things that meet your criteria...mainly gear ratio, gov-lock/open carrier, but also condition of axles and how much money/time you want to put into them. OPEN THE DIFF COVER on the axles to get the gear ratio and also to check the general condition of the innards. Take a pipe or flex handle and pry at the ring gear/carrier against the housing. You want NO sideways or up/down movement whatsoever. Also, grab onto the yoke and give it a shake back/forth and up/down. Again, no movement. Turn the yoke, there can be a little slop when going from forward to reverse but nothing excessive. Look at the ring and pinion, check for broken teeth or bad wear. If there's fluid left in the bottom of the diff, run your fingers through it and check for metal shavings.
    For the front axle, check bearings, ball joints, axleshaft u-joints, and basically everything I said above too.

There's a lot to be done/checked with axles this old...half of which you won't remember to do until you've already laid down the cash and torn into it.

Have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

What he said and

241 will work.

on the 14FF you might want to go buy some axleshafts cheap and then go back a week later and buy the rest of the axle for real cheap because it has no axle shafts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

or if you need a yoke or something from a good driveshaft and they want $60 just throw a drum or rock at it and bent it up so you get it for just the cost of the yoke- i think it's fair considering they always want absurd amounts of money for things like yokes- $25. . . new ones are $25 dammit!

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

on the 14FF you might want to go buy some axleshafts cheap and then go back a week later and buy the rest of the axle for real cheap because it has no axle shafts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    just throw a drum or rock at it and bent it up so you get it for just the cost of the yoke-

[/ QUOTE ] Geeze, that isn't very nice. How about making an offer on what its actually worth. I know they overprice because they like succers and expect to have to come down for someone that knows their $hit. ruining good parts is a selfish idea because another guy right after you might need that part you just busted. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

----------------
    85K5 3/4ton, 14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35" boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I think he was busting the part he didnt need and taking all of it home.