Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going to bethel maine to pit the jimmy against some jeeps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Oct 22, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i am going out trail riding today with my jimmy, and some pretty skilled jeepers. these guys are long time and very good personal friends of mine, and they have been trail guides for the JEEP JAMBOREE for sevral years now. the guys i am going with today use stock military jeeps, and take them on trails rated up to 7-9, and usually dont have a problem. today is goingto be the test run for my jimmy, since i did the lift and tires i have only taken it off road once, and it was on a trail i used to do when it was stock in 98% 2 wheel drive. i guess today well see what happens. wish me luck!
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Nice looking Blazer.
    Too bad I'm out of state in college (in VT)-- Bethel is not far from my actual home.
    Wish more people around here wnet wheeling in more places.

Mikey

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Nice Jimmy, kinda looks like mine only better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you can fit you shouldn't have too much of a problem. You got a locker, right? If those old MB jeeps are running original Mil-spec rubber they're not goin too far.

I like all you're old man's toys. Is he a MVPA member? Does he know CW4 (Ret) Diesel-Don Richards out of Mason, NH?

Smokin' Vette. I wish mine had all those beans. Then, I jsut be happy when it gets road worthy again (long story /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

4. milspecjimmy

not to put you down, but those old jeeps are running mil spec tires, and have put many swampered jeeps to shame, these guys are as close to pro as it gets around here. i would have to say that there skills make up for the tires.

yeah my dad has a few toys. and thanks for the compliment on my rig, its getting where i want it to be slowly.

The vette is a friends/customers i am in the process of building what i hope to be a motor that will put him into the 10's i am gearing for 728 hp and 690 tq at the crank, and things are looking good so far
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well my experience with the "military standard" tread tire tend towards the larger sizes: 9x20 , 11X20 and the larger trucks: Dueces, M800 & M939 series. Never had great luck them in a "tactical" environment, compared to the newer super-singles

Tell me how you fared

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Heep...its what's for dinner!

GET IT! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. milspecjimmy

yes i agree, the new super single tires are far superior to the old NDT tires, and my father has a 6X6, and a weapons carrier with those tires on them and if its not dry they wont go on it.
    i however did not fare too well. since i put on the lift and tires i havent taken it off road till tuesday. needless to say my front tires rubbed the rear of the fenders, so i didnt take it into the trails for fear of messing up the fender, or killing another tire. o and wednessday, i trimmed the fenders /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. and the pics will be up on web shots soon.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Same thing happened to me, I was planning a trip to the rubicon, and I had put a lift and bigger tires, driving up there was fine, as soon as I started flexing hard, the rubbing started so I stopped. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Now I fixed it and I am itching to go back and try it out.

9. milspecjimmy

hehehehe, just took the ole girl out tonight on a few pole lines, i was impressed. did some steep rocks, and a ton of mud, didnt air down a bit, and it went like it had tracks.