Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to buy a computer tonight any advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jul 1, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am computer dumb...like drooling on my shirt dumb when it comes to hardware. I have had the same computer for 5 years and technology has escaped me.

Any how, I am in no position to build a computer. The plans are to stop into best buy or comp use and throw out the credit card. I was looking last night at an Athalon 3.2 ghz processor 500 GB hd and 2 MB RAM. It was $200 more than a comparable Intel model. Which is better? The guy was telling me something about IDE ram or blah blah3xxrj wtf ever ram I was like...yeah cool ok I know exactly what you are talking about...:confused:

So the athalon computer is a gateway and with monitor comes to like $1500. The monitor is a 21" flat screen. I know building it would be cheaper but I have no patients for that. Help a brotha out.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I have a 19" monitor, and that's plenty! I got a pretty good Dell with monitor and printer for ~$1000. I went through the customization process with them, and tailored it to what I want.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no way in hell I'd spend $1500 on a pc.. and I love 'puters! lol.

I highly recommend you go to www.newegg.com. Go to their desktop PC section... and look around in the $500-750 range. Find one you like that has a good AMD 64 processor, plenty of ram and a decent vid card... read lots of reviews etc and then grab one... then add a flat screen monitor for the same web page. Guarenteed you could get the same perf that $1500 PC from a retail store has for like $1000. If you want to give a local retailer $500 for their time, you can go that route too. ;)

I just did a spot-check... didn't do much research, but how about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883103004

with this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824014105

those two would be less than $900. Lil over that after shipping. Just a thought. If you can use a 19" monitor instead of a 21, you would save a LOT of $$...

j

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I gotta agree with you on this one! (Except for the AMD part, but whatever). I built my computer just over a year ago using newegg stuff. I figured that if I could build an engine, I can definitely build a computer. Either way, if I wasn't going to build, I'd definitely look into their built computers first. It's a heck of a lot cheaper for the same thing.

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

If you can wait just a little while, Intel is releasing the new Conroe dual core processors. These are a major increase in usable power.

Just checked....Conroe will be released on 07/27/06

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

new + intel = mad coin... this guy is doing a budget build. It seems clear from the initial post that the guy doesn't want to build a PC... which is why I recommended a pre-assembled system from newegg... all you have to do is unpack the thing, plug it in and plug in the monitor and you're pretty much set.

j