Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to buy a new impact tonight, got a ?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 20, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

OK so I am shopping online for a good impact. Checking out Ingersoll Rand and find one that will work, it is a 1/2" drive since I only have a few 3/4 sockets that I rarely use. It advertises 1000 pounds of torque then as I get to reading the specs it says max torque is 700 pounds. How does that work? How can they advertise 1000 pounds but its only rated at 700? WTF...

:confused:

I assume they mean 1000 pounds in reverse and 700 forward...I am trying to get a pinion nut off and my junk is not powerfull enough. Maybe I should buy it dinner first?

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The 1000ft/lbs thing is a little weird - IR claims the gun (I'm assuming you're referring to the IR 2135TI) will remove a fastener tightened to 1000ft/lbs with 6 seconds of max-reverse hammering.
    BUT, it's rated 700ft/lbs in reverse.

I don't quite get the numbers game... but I do love that gun. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, they call that "nut-busting torque"...which sounds like a load of crapola marketing to me. :dunno:

Doubt you'll find a better impact though...at least not in 1/2" drive.

Rene

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Wow...

I bought it Friday and this thing is so bad ass. I was trying to get a front pinion nut off with my 380 pound campbell and it wouldnt budge. Nothing with a breaker bar either. This pulled it out first try.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yep ive got one and i wouldnt trade it for anything.

6. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Love the IR Titanium gun at the shop....real light compared to anything else that has any nut-busting (better than ball busting eh?) torque and gets just about anything loose. Looks badass in black too.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have the same gun, the QTI one, quiet version. I LOVE that gun. Use it all day, everday, to earn a living. As of yet, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Maybe someday there will be a 1/2" gun I like better.