Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going to dual exhaust....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Apr 23, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey gang, I live in WA... from the factory I have single exhaust. About 2 years ago, I added Edelbrock street legal headers, a new high flow cat, and a flowmasta 3" exhaust kit. Everything is working fine... but I need a new y-pipe and will prolly have to have one custom made so it will clear everything just how I want it to.

question 1: would it be smarter to just go true dual? i mean if I got another cat and flowmasta 50 then not to much wacky custom-bent stuff would be required for the installation.

question 2: Ive heard it isnt legal to mod your exhaust this way if it was single from the factory... any1 ever been busted/failed at a smog inspection for this? I guess I could always keep my old y-pipe and run single exhaust when I went to get smogged. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

1- it is easier to get more clearance with duals, it can go straight down the frame rails paralell instead of the big Y hanging down.
    ...DRAWBACK-- Headers that dont hug the block, like mine dont allways leak when i flex and pop the gaskets /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif i hate em, going back to manifolds.

2-- it is legal to do anything as long as you can pass emissions, and you can also get dual high flow cats, way better /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ive never had anyone look under my rig, cammin and all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i actually had to richen it up to pass /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What i was told is(now this is for oregon mind you)that if your vehicle came stock with single but was a option for dual it is ok. But up in washington i have no idea if its different.

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

in my smogging of vehicles in washington...it doesnt matter if its single or dual and they wont look for a cat either on an 85...the sniffer still sniffs /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hmmmm... i might have to go for duals then. y-pipes suck azz. all hangin down and in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

6. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

just go dual, it will be alot better.