Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at 1988 K5 i found in paper. What to look for?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Mar 23, 2003.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Might head out Saturday. I'd like some pointers on what to look for. The only info I have now is from the dealer website: '88 Blazer, green, snow plow, 4x4, auto, Silverado(p/w, pdl, a/c), ps, p/b, tinted sliders, 5.7L V8. No exterior mods I can see. Body looks straight on stock aluminim rims(Alcoa lookalikes), stock ride height. I'm not too worried about anything after the transfer case. I only have 2 pictures but they show no "visible" surface rust. I know, though, to check underneath. Looks to have the factory auto hubs up front.
    The guy only wants $6000 for it. I don't know the mileage yet. I'm not looking forward to getting another 700r4 rebuilt, but I may be able to talk him down a few bucks and maybe sweet talk him into giving me some cash for mine(hopefully...maybe). If not, I'll just sell mine outright. The dude with the one ton I wanted has been a bit slow on the draw and I'm beginning to doubt he will sell as the truck is his work truck.
    I've already emailed him for details and will probably go out Sat to get a closer look. It's only about 60 minutes from me.
    I'd like some feedback on waht to look for on the spot and the questions to ask. This is a mom and pop deal, but luckily I'm familiar with the layout of the vehicle on question. Any possibility it's EFI?
    http://web.inetba.com/sachstrucksalesinc/images/88BlazerPlow.JPG

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

700R4's and plows scare me!! I don't know if it's just the area your in, but 6,000 seems a little high. I have seen 89-91's in the 3,000-4,000. Chris from the board has a 89 blazer for sale, sweet truck and he was at 4,200. I know you don't get as much snow as we do up here, but check the frame were the the plow frame bolts on. I have seen them crack the frame. If somebody is abusive when plowing, it puts alot of stress on the frame. The floors were the seats bolt down are not reinforced well, Ck for cracks in floors by seat bolts. Up here and all over, the rail that goes across the back that the tailgate bolts to rusts out alot. 87 up trucks are fuel injected. MAKE SURE the ck engine light goes on and off when truck is started. It is common for shady dealers to remove the bulb and hide problems. When you turn the key on, make sure that lights up. 87 up trucks were known for cracking cylinder heads. Ck for smoke/steam from exaust. make sure there is antifreeze in the radiater. and smell exaust. make sure it's not sweet smelling. Other than all the usual stuff fluid leaks, ck axel joints, and ball joints.(if you can) plow trucks eat these!
    And thats about all I can think of now.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

$6K seems way high unless it's a garage kept non smoker with low miles...

I paid $5200 for my 89 5 yrs ago...hard loaded, nonsmoker, Street (235/75r15) tires, 44K miles...and it was Clean as a Safeway Chicken...One Owner...just my .02...good luck...it'll be TBI...Texas doesn't salt their roads, so rust is not an issue here... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I expected the price to be a weak point as it is a dealer we're talking about. And pretty much, the motor worries me the most.
    You're scaring me about the cyl heads. You've really made me rethink my find with that comment. All the other stuff you said is ok except that. How prone were they? Was it because of bad design or poor maintainence or what?

5. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

Yeah definitly 6000 is way to high. I got my 88 blazer for 1500 with only a slight amount of rust around the front fenders. then it needed 1500 more for brakes and all the u-joints and a new gas tank. Also it needed the fuel and brakelines that run along the frame to be replaced because of GMs poor design of running them against the frame rail. I then put in another 1500 in wheels tires and lift and have a nice looking truck. oh yeah and head gaskets were done for 500 bucks. so for 5,000 dollars mines been running for five years and is four inches higher, has 33's, polished aluminum wheels, 25,000 more miles on it. So Definitly consider it wisely and remeber that plowing takes a toal on trucks.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

In 87, GM changed the engine design agian. In efforts to keep weight down, The thinned the head castings (agian). This made them prone to cracking if the utmost of care isn't taken. I have an 87 for a daily driver now. I paid 1,000 for it without the plow.I put that on from one of my parts trucks. granted, now i am suffering with rust, but it has a new engine in it. I bought it last october and really haven't put much money into it. just tin work.

7. ed1507

ed1507 Registered Member

you might look real close at the frame right over the front wheels and the ball joints thats where a buddys 86 went bad and he pushed snow with it
    85k5 305 33's /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

6000 seems too high to me and I am in NC. I got mine for 650 and it only needs a rebuilt engine. No rust, power everything, a/c, no rips in the seats, and the paint even shines! I did pick this up from a friend at the local chevy dealer who wasnt supposed to let it go to the public, but I aint complaining. Just my $.02!
    Harrison

9. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm glad this site is as it is. After some calming down, I decided to pass on that Blazer. I'm not even going to look to it like I said. If I can't get the one ton, I'm sure something just as good will come along. Now that I know some of the channels to check...
    Thanks for the info.

10. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

No problem. Hey, a deal will come to you if you wait long enough. Thats what everyone kept telling me and I wouldn't listen. Then one day, out fo the blue, my friend called and said he had found a blazer for me for cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good things come to those who wait.
    Harrison