Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going to look at 91 s-10

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bryguy00b, Oct 27, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

rsuted body.. but i dont care just looknig for a cheap beater good on gas to driveso i can take my truck of the road.and wokr on it while i have something better on gas to drive in the mean time..i know its got a 4.3 in it..anything i should look for on these things? guy said it just needed a brake line to drive

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

4.3L isnt gonna get great gas mileage with an auto tranny. Actually seen some 4.3L powered 4x4 S10's get worse gas mileage than my fullsize '79 K10 (I get 15 mpg on the highway).

Is it a 2wd or 4x4?

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its a 2wd...im not expecting any huge huge changes but its gatta be better than what im driving now..this thing is horrible!!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a '91 that we purchased new. It now has 145K miles on the clock and still runs strong. However, it has been meticulously maintained. The '91 4.3 was TBI and only puts out 160 HP. It just doesn't breathe well enough. It runs out of power before it reaches redline. Other than that, it's a pretty decent little truck.

With 4WD, 4-doors, and a 700R4 it gets 16-17 MPG in town and 18-19 on the highway. (Our speed limits on the highways here are 75, so I'm sure it would do better on long cruises at lower speeds). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well this one is a 2wd so i dunno if it will make that much of a difference gas milage wise..but..we'll see on thrusday when i check it out guy said it was mainted well.(but people say anything) guess its got a new set of tires on it..only thing im learly about its got about 200k on it..guy says it runs like a top..i figure if it runs well ill drive it..and if something should go bad such as the moter or something ill just swap another one in there..ive seen these moters around for pretty dang cheap..

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok well i looked at the truck..its got a little over 200k on it started up ran good BUT..it ideled kinda wierd..like it would go up and down and up and down a little..i dont know much at all about the tbi's. needed a brake line..had a rusty box but the rest fo the truck was not bad( remember were i live) he went through al lthe gears with it...thing looked to be in fairly good shape..solid floors..wants 300 for it...basicly turn key and go..just needs the break line..(and the windshield)..wadya think? oh yea also had a crack in the windshield im lookin at a 4 cyl. w/ a 5 speed tomorrow for the same price..but its an 87

7. HarryH3

Mine idles steady as a rock. But for $300 you can't expect much. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Around here a windshield runs $125.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea this is true..i was thinking that myself..for 300 i think its pretty decent..the things pretty much turn key and go..and i could still get it on the road even with the cracked windshield becuase my dad can slap a sticker on it so... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif how hard u think it would be to put in a windshield if i found one myself anyway? or would i be better of just havin one put in?

9. HarryH3

The windshiield is glued in, so you have to cut the old one out and then lay a big bead of urethane and place the new windshield in the truck.