Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at a 1st Gen Tomorrow *Buying it on Wed the 9th*

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jerry303, Jul 2, 2003.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

What are some specific things that I should look for? He said that it has rust in the normal places, around the corners and in the floor but overral isn't too bad. I will take a lot of pics when I go, so I can post them to get some more opinions. Here's the ad:

1970 GMC Jimmy 4x4: This is a great project truck. The frame is from one '70 Jimmy (with it's own title), the body from another '70 Jimmy (with it's own title) and the running gear (engine, tranny, transfer case, and rearend) are from a 1975 Chevy ¾ Ton truck. It has a 4" Rancho suspension lift with 33x12.5 tires on 16 ½ (8 lug) chrome wheels.

The motor is a 350. It has been running (3 years ago) but there is no radiator so it wasn't ran long. It currently does not run. It does require some work to be done on the wiring to make it operable. Many items have been purchased for this vehicle, to include:

New clutch and pressure plate
    New drive shafts
    New exhaust (Hooker headers w/glass pax and pipe running out in front of the rear wheels)
    New alternator
    New shocks (Rear)
    New tires and wheels
    New ignition switch
    Replacement rear bench seat
    Replacement front buckets (from a '75 Chevy P/U)

He's asking $2000 but I think that I can talk him down to $1800 easily, as he's had it for sale for awhile. I think this is a pretty good deal, what about you?

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Re: Going to look at a 1st Gen Tomorrow

Just depend's on how much rust it has, and if You want to do the work to get it running. Look for rust, in the rocker panel's, lower cab corner's,[rear behind door's] floor board's, inner fender's, [inner fender's usually rust anyhow], and the radiator support, [the battery usually puke's acid down, and help's eat the right hand side out].

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

sounds like a hell of a strat for a good project. id just check the rust really good.

nathan

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Window frames are a huge rust problem. pull the top back and see if there is rust there. Also the rocker boxes - the big metal "box" between the rocker panels and the frame. These are the structrual support when the top is off.

If the running gear is from a '75, what t-case does it have? Not a huge problem but the NP203 is less desireable (my '69 has one from a later model truck to replace the original dana 20). Why was it swapped? What front axel does it have?

5. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Depending on what part of the country you are in, Please take a moment & fill out your profile, Rust is going to be your main concern.

It is relatively easy to find mechanical parts and repair/replace as needed. Body panels and parts like inner rocker boxes, window frames, and the dreaded pillar and floor supports buried under the floor are a different story. They are almost certain to be in serious need of repair if they are still there at all.

That being said, it sounds like you are going to get well more that $2k worth of parts. It looks like a good start, but be realistic w/ how long (in other words, how much $$), it will take you to get it "running".

My recommendation on estimating is to take your most pessimistic and "bad news" estimate and at least double it.

Soon you will be spouting rationalizations born of beer- hazed marathon sessions like "The true adventure is in the journey...not the destination." just like the rest of us.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I've decided to buy it, I didn't really feel like taking pics right then so I didn't...I'll have pics on Wed though. He took $1800, Overral I was very impressed with the shape of the body. I can't wait to start working on it. First gens rule!