Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at a 71 3/4 ton truck...need some advice

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by midwest wheeler, Mar 11, 2003.

1. midwest wheeler

midwest wheeler Registered Member

Thursday night I'm going to go look at a truck for sale by me......From what the guy told me on the phone--It is a project he bought and he has never had it running and driving, it used to have 38 inch swampers on it, so I'm assuming it has been used pretty hard. It is an original 3/4 ton, Dana 44 front (with truss), and Eaton rear, 4x4, 4 speed truck. It has a 8 inch lift, no motor, tranny or transfer case. Crappy tires/wheels. Body is pretty straight, some rust in cab and doors but not bad. Glass is all good, except winshield has crack in it. Bushwacker cut out flairs. He has an auto column and pedal assembly that goes with it as well. And he has a 1975 454 that he is selling as well, but not in the truck. All I know about the motor is that it is supposed to run and was rebuilt but there is no way for me to know that. He wants $1,000 for truck and $650 for big block. I know it is difficult to give a price without seeing pictures but what should I be looking for as far as good/bad things on the truck?
    How tough would it be to make it an auto?
    What gear ratios could it possibly have? 4:10?

Thanks for any help/advice you guys can give me.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Rebuilt motors that have been run are worth as much as a heavily used engine because there's no way to tell how hard or how long they've been run. Heck, I'm cutting my own throat trying to sell a Cadillac 472 that I built and never ran...

Don't know what the chassis is worth, but $1K sounds OK if it's pretty rust-free.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    How tough would it be to make it an auto?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be a walk in the park...but why would you want to do THAT? Seems that those who have autos want manuals, those with manuals love them, and those who converted to manual (like me) couldn't be happier!

4. Steve_Chin

Boy, do I agree with 84_Chevy_K10. Manuals are fun. I really should not have looked so hard to try to find an original 4-peed Blazer because I threw an NV4500 at it anyhow. I could have found an automatic in the same or better shape for about $1.5K less and in a lot less time (took over two years to find what I was looking for).

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4 speed truck manuals rule !! 4 speed trucks are very uncommon around here, unfortunately. to go to auto youd have to find 27 spline output trans case cuz older 4 speed ones are 10 spline output before the mid 80s, and have to find correct case/tranny adapter, plus some other things like auto column, trans linkage parts setup, and so forth,,, basically you'll be tearing whole truck apart to do it, have fun !
    i hate autos, they slip way too much, i like to be locked to my rear axle! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif true about no one seeming to be happy with what tranny setup is in their truck, everyone always seems to want the opposite type of trans than they have,.. odd...

6. Steve_Chin

I didn't want the other type, I just wanted a better-shifting tranny and another gear. That's why I should have bought an automatic truck. Doesn't matter now that I own the thing and I'm done putting the tranny into the Blazer.