Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at a 72, what do I look for?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Hi guys, I'm about to cross over from the other side. I had been the proud owner of a 90K5 until my girlfriend totalled it this past December. Girlfriend is fine, but the truck was a total loss. I tried to go a month or so without one, but I can't stand it any longer. I've decided I want a first generation, full convertible for many reasons. Most importantly I can put whatever engine I want in it and not have to worry about emissions here in Mass like I did with the 90. Anyway, I am looking at a 72 on Saturday. It is a CST model. Anyone know what that means? It's a 350 Auto with 166,000 miles. Rockers are shot, some of the floor is gone. Guy says the frame is mint, but I'll have to wait and see. The truck is yellow with a black top. I knew exactly what to look for on the 2nd generation, but am not that familiar with the 1st. Can anyone give me some suggestions on exactly what to look for besides the obvious when I check this puppy out? Any specific problem areas? The truck would be a project for the summer, I'm not looking for a turn key blazer.
    As always, any info is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Tim

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Rust, Rust and Rust..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Check the "Cancer Support" thread above for the detailed pics. Sounds like the truck you are looking at already has rust in the classic spots. Like everything in life, it can be fixed with enough money and time invested. Just make sure the price reflects the work you'll need to do.

Beyond that, it would be nice if it had a single-wall top, and original trim pieces and interior. Those can be somewhat difficult to find later. A factory tach is also somewhat rare and a nice score if you can get it.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well Rust is the killer. Make sure the window frame is not rusted out. Rockers are almost allways rusted. Make sure the Rocker Boxes are still there. It's a 72 so you should have front disk brakes already. The steering box frame area should have a factory inside reinforcment plate too, well mine does. Hmmm well the body mounts were they meet the floor is also important to not be rusted out. If the floor were your feet go when in the front is rusted out drop the price down more...I passed up 4 first gens until I bought mine..too much rust for me to deal with.
    Hardtop cracks and bad rear hatches(cracked above the rear window) are common too.
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by "single-wall" top? I'm not familiar with that term. The guy is asking $1500. I'd like to get it down below $1000 but I'll have no idea until I go look at it.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

There are two types of Hard tops.
    Single & Double wall
    Just what it means. The Double wall is heavier(two layers of fiberglass on the sides) and the bed rail mounting bolts come up from under the rail into the top. The single wall, lighter only one wall of fiberglass on the sides and the rail bolts come from the top down into the bed rails.