Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at a 79 4x4 crew cab.....Need with it help FAST!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Feb 10, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

It has a six in it. Not for long anyway. I am wondering what I shound look for? Looks like I will can get the truck for very little. Thanks for the help. Mike

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Going to look at a 79 4x4 crew cab..........

If it's a full time truck it could have the 400/203 combo which is popular for the ORD Doubler. I could be wrong but I think 4.56's are fairly common in the 6cyl 1 ton trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Keep us posted! If it has a 292 6cyl I have a V8 crossmember assembly that I'll trade you for yours when you do the swap (they're slightly different for the 292).

3. 84CUCV

Ok...Thanks I will let you know. Mike

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree about the gear in the 292 equiped K-30's . A lot of the ones that I have seen have been 4.56's.
    Great find !!! Let us know how it turns out ....
    Tom

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool me to...this friday!! but this one has a 350 in it..and a flat bed on the back...not sure if its a dually or not..im guessing it is though..if i do buy it im ganna put a bed back on it...if i dont get the truck there is also a 77 k5 i might get ot loo kat for 999 as well!

6. 84CUCV

Re: Going to look at a 79 4x4 crew cab......Need help with it FAST!!

I got to see it today. He said I could take it for 800. Got it down to 650. He is losing his storage. I need to get it out by Thursday at noon. I know a bunch of other guys looked at it. I was the first one. Here is the problem. Around the windshield is VERY rusted and so it just below it witch I think is called the cowl. They stopped using the truck because of the water getting in and causing mildew. Other then that 52000 original miles and it is not missing a thing. From what they told me is should start right up. How much $$ to make it part time? Fix the cab or maybe look for a new one. Anybody have one?? I can get my hand on a mild 383 or a stock 427. What kind of work is needed to drop it in? Thanks a lot for the help!! Any other advice would be great!! Mike

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You are talking about a 4x4 crew cab so that means 1ton axles, and thick tall frame, at 650 I would get it and then worry about the rest.
    Worst case you can put another body on or remove all the mechanicals under the hood when you want to replace the engine and clean up the firewall and cowl and make some patches.
    For the part time kit there is a write up by Grim Reaper it has all the info you need, it should be a sticky in the begining of this forum.
    As for the engine choices, anything Chevy will bolt up no problem.

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My God Man go and buy it RIGHT NOW !!!!! $650.00 is great for a k-30 that has axles still in it .
    You mentioned that it had a 6 cyl. It should be a 292 that has the passenger side motor mount in a different spot than the 250 , and SBC , and BBC's - Like Nvrenuf said , you will need to swap the engine mounts and cross member for the non-292 set up .
    It sucks that it is that rusted but get it anyway - IT IS A K-30 for $650.00 ....What more do you have to think about .....
    In case you haven't noticed , my vote is to get it .
    Good Luck , Tom

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Here is the problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem!? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    A dana60 and 14bolt for $650 in drive home condition. Where's the problem!
    It would have been on my trailer before he had found the keys /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Somebody a while back had brand new in GM crate full crew cab (just the metal) on eBay. Included doors. I think it was up for a few grand and never sold. You could look it up and ask him to re-auction it...