Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at a 95 sub tomorrow... For the

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by kwcdawgfan, Mar 13, 2002.

1. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

wife... With three kids now (one a week old today) Its time to get something bigger and neither one of us like vans and we have always loved our 73k5 so we are thinking of a sub... I know next to nothing about suburbans and was hoping someone could give some advice on what to look for... All I know about this one is its a 95 2x4 w/ leather and 88,000 miles... He is asking 13,000 but I think I can get for around 12,000... From what my buddy told me its in great shape... Is this about right for this year model and also what should I look for... Thanks for any feedback

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

your best bet on price comparison is to look at the kelly bluebook stats on it, and then check your local paper/truck trader. I personaly wouldn't pay 10,000 for a suburban, but thats just me. depending on what state you live in, check for obvious problems, like rust out, the color of the tranny fluid, and check the oil... that's a pretty clear indication of how the vehicle's been kept for the last few years. if the oils sparkly clear, then its been changed recently. if its black, and nasty looking, then its been a long while, and probably hasn't had regular service like it should have. check for leaks from the output of the tranny, and any from the engine. not an entirely bad thing, but annoying enough to have a `new car' crap on the driveway. check the tires for uneven wear, and while you're looking for rust on the undercarraige, and holes in the floor, check the frame to make sure its nice and strait. my 77's frame has some nasty bends in it... partialy from a nasty accident one of the previous owners had, and partialy from me torquing the frame with the Uuber 454 in it now.

another thing to think aobut is what the factory new cost on it was. I'm not entirely sure what a 95 suburban cost new, but I'd be willing to beleive its between 18,000 and 25,000... could be wrong, since I primarily specialize in older 70's burbs.

on the positive side, 88,000 miles ins't too bad for a 7 year old vehicle... means they only put perhaps 15,000 miles per year on it, which compared to me is nothing.... I've racked up 20,000 on my 77's new engine in the first year I drove it...

just to give you a comparison, my 77 suburban cost me 800, with a bad engine. the engine cost me 1200, so for 2000 bucks, I had a strong dependable vehicle.
    my 73 4x4 suburban cost me 1500 bucks, and only needed windows to make it complete. about 100 dollars in scavenged glass, and its got windows, drives fine ( needs a new distributor) and all that other stuff...

of course, my vehicles don't have to tote about babies, and small families, to grocery stores and whatnot. there should be a happy median between the 12,000 dollar suburban, and my 2000 dollar project trucks.... suburbans made between 1987 and 1991 have the older body style, but came with fuel injection systems, and in many cases vortec engines. this meant power, and good gas mileage. they also cost around 5000-9000 for a decent one, depending on options, 2/4 wheel drive, interior package, trim, and etc.

at this point, I hope someone jumps in and either clarifies what I say, or condems it... you might want to check out the suburban owners web page, as they deal mostly with 92 and newer suburbans, issues, pricing, parts, and etc... <a target="_blank" href=http://www.suburbancentral.com/>Suburban Central</a>

-Rich

3. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Rich thanks for the info

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well your close on most of it-

I had a 94- I don't know about pricing on 2 wheel drive's - we live in Vermont so their aren't any of those up here-

but since John and I were Burb shopping last weekend- here is what can be had up here
    1999 1500 LT - loaded- 48k- 19,999
    1994 1500 SLT loaded- 94,500k-- 11,000
    2000 2500 LS loaded- 35k- 20,500

these were all 4wheel drive- and the market is pretty big for these up here- 4 wheel drives in spring- cheaper prices than any other time of the year.

being he is in Georgia- I'd doubt their is that much rust- definetly no holes anywhere- though ? maybe ... I'd be more concerned when you first open the hood- what is your eye drawn to- is it a NASTY looking engine compartment? or is it pretty clean? YOu can tell a lot about a previous owner from that.---

also being it has 3 seats- flip up the second seat- so its resting on the back of the front seats- check that carpet- is it nasty? more often than not late model Burb's- are womens rigs, and most women don't take that great of care of their cars/trucks. If she never lifted that seat to clean stuff up- chances are not much else was maintained-

The last thing- if it has barn doors- check that BOTH open with 1 hand- thats how they were built- but a lot of times the drivers side door gets outta wack some how- and takes two hands... she's not going to enjoy that with a baby in her arms!

good luck let us know what you found!

Brandy