Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at a chevelle any tips?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by RingMaster4x4, Oct 3, 2003.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am going to look at a 1970 chevelle next weekend does anyone have some spots to check for problems? I will post some pictures if it will help. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to look at a 1970 chevelle next weekend does anyone have some spots to check for problems? I will post some pictures if it will help. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

study before your test ===> http://www.chevelles.com/

what is the intent here? daily driver, hotrod, fartaroundcar, strip runner, show piece, what? there is way too much to cover without some basic info.

spots for problems- where the watershed line goes across the chrome strip at the base of the rear window is notorious for rusting out.

3. RingMaster4x4

I plan on it being a Daliy Driver while I do the body and the interior of my blazer. Then I will be my next project to become a hotrod.

4. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

only advice is make a plan, stick to it- start to finish. i was going to restore my 72 and found the lack of funds meant it was destined to be a daily driver. then a bad motor turned it into a project car. bought a dually to drive to work and then i had the requisite tow rig so the velle became a stripper. i went downhill from there at a neck breaking pace.

5. RingMaster4x4

Thanks for the advise. There picture in my webshots in my profile.

6. RingMaster4x4

Clicky Chevelle /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

very nice. i assume that means you brought it home? $$?

8. RingMaster4x4

Not yet. there is still a few more days till I get to look at it. If it in good shape like he says it is I will bring it home. Do you think that it is worth the 2800 he is asking for it? he says the the interior is in good shape and there is no rust at the back window. all the chrome it in good shape, it runs and drives, and he says the numbers match. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

oh my... a numbers matching 70 a/c non-malibu... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

well, value is between you and the market. from the pics, i'd say 1200 less m/t, 1800 with dead m/t, 2200 turnkey and asking price with documentation. it looks original under the hood. if it drives out decent shoot him a low 2 offer. if it drives impressively, acceleration/braking/cornering, then mid 2s. if hes got the paperwork on it, ie build sheet or original window sticker, 2800 would not be a bad deal at all, assuming it stills drives out good. this is my opinion only and i am not the one balancing your checkbook, so there ya go. remember that, while the thought disgusts me, yesterdays chevelle is todays civic. they were built as family cars with some balls and ended up being everyones hotrod. how it was treated and whats left of it are important considerations when you are using it to get to work everyday. that's my .02, enjoy.

10. RingMaster4x4

what is M/T? motor/trasmission? He says that he will not sell it for any less then 2800, that is what he says he owes the bank for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

yes m/t is motor/tranny.

owes the bank? for some reason i don't like the sound of that. it does look like a good car. if i was closer, i would take a look at it with you. any mods done to it? if you don't know already, call him and find out what:
    rearend (10b or 12b)
    gearing and differential (open, OE posi or aftermarket posi)
    total mileage and mileage on any part of the drivetrain that has been repaired or replaced
    condition of a/c components
    type of shocks, specifically rear (air shocks was a dealer installed option)

let me know what you find out and we'll go from there.

12. RingMaster4x4

will do that and let you know. I do know that the A/C works but does not blow hard and the car has 97,000 miles on the car its self.

13. RingMaster4x4

Here is what he told me.

10 BOLT OPEN. PROBABLY 3:08 RATIO. ENGINE HAS 97000 MILES ON IT. NEW WATER PUMP, HEI DISTRIBUTOR, FRONT END BUSHINGS, MASTER CYL. TRANSMISSION IS A TURBO 350 AND WAS REBUILT SOME TIME AGO. SHIFTS GREAT. AIR SHOCKS ON BACK. I HAVE DONE NO WORK ON CAR. IT RUNS AND DRIVES AS IS.

14. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is what he told me.

10 BOLT OPEN. PROBABLY 3:08 RATIO. ENGINE HAS 97000 MILES ON IT. NEW WATER PUMP, HEI DISTRIBUTOR, FRONT END BUSHINGS, MASTER CYL. TRANSMISSION IS A TURBO 350 AND WAS REBUILT SOME TIME AGO. SHIFTS GREAT. AIR SHOCKS ON BACK. I HAVE DONE NO WORK ON CAR. IT RUNS AND DRIVES AS IS.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds alright, but ...
    [ QUOTE ]
    NEW WATER PUMP, HEI DISTRIBUTOR, FRONT END BUSHINGS, MASTER CYL.

[/ QUOTE ]
    in the same paragraph as
    [ QUOTE ]
    I HAVE DONE NO WORK ON CAR.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

not a red flag, not really even a yellow flag, just a concern of an outsider who realizes that he is dispensing advice which may or may not culminate in a fellow enthusiast investing nearly 3 grand in an archaeic play toy. that being said... go test drive it and see how it feels. if it were me, i would probably get it, only having owned a velle previously and being aware that it is full of potential. potential to become a money pit or a money pit that is a real hotrod.

15. RingMaster4x4

I think that he said " I HAVE DONE NO WORK ON CAR" because I ask him I he had the work done or if he did the work. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. RingMaster4x4

Well It was a very nice chevelle and it was everything the guy said it was, but I did not buy it. We found this on the way up there and for the money the guy wanted for it we bought it insted. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

17. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

oh... you.. bastard...

must... stop... [insert naughty self stimulating reference here]...

that is nice. very nice. btw- i have a set of wheels that would fit that beauty. 14x7 fronts (oe 72) and 15x8 rear (oe vette). even got rubber on em. i would love to here more on how this deal came about.

and for future reference, while i acknowledge that it is not an ss or even a big block car, i still hate you. if it had black interior with a bench seat, i'm sure my wife would be willing to work out a trade for her yukon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. RingMaster4x4

OH gee your really going to hate me now. I ran the VIN # it is a SS and check out the inside of the car. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW the car really is red. I am not sure why the pictures look like that.

19. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to sound rude or pick a fight, but that is not an SS. It is a VERY SHARP LOOKING malibu.

The 72 (1D37.........) VIN's can be very hard to cypher.

Starting in 1972, the 5th character in the VIN number of all GM vehicles indicated the vehicle's engine type. The engine codes for 1972 are as follows :

"W" - LS5 454 V8 4bbl

"U" - LS3 402 V8 4-bbl

"J" - 350 V8 4bbl

"H" - 350 V8 2bbl

"F" - 307 V8 2bbl

"D" - 250 L6 1bbl

Since the 454 was only available as part of the SS (or SP) package, any Chevelle, El Camino, or Sprint with a "W" as the fifth character in the VIN is a genuine SS-454 (or SP-454 in the case of the Sprint). There was no SS package for the '72 Monte Carlo, but unlike the others, it could be ordered with a 454 without an SS package.

Check the rear control arms, are the tubed? Or are they channels? Does it have the rear sway bar? It is an AC car, but lacks any of the SS items, such as round gauges/lights, console, hoseshoe shifter. [​IMG]

I only know this from a past experience with a non SS car. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. RingMaster4x4

maybe it's not a SS but I am fine with that. It does have AC I will check the other stuff and let you know. the first part of the VIN # is 1D37F2R can you tell me what all is says the VIN says I was having a hard time finding a good place to decode it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif