Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to look at a turbo set-up on Friday

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Oct 25, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's an ATS system currently bolted to a 6.2...the guy claims there is a bit of wiggle on the turbo shaft. It's a Garrett turbo.

So, what should I be looking for? From what I understand it is complete with all the stuff, but the turbo may need to be rebuilt.

Anyone care to school me on this stuff? If it looks decent I certainly wouldn't mind doing the turbo swap. The guy is looking for $300 cdn for the whole set-up.

Rene

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm no help!..

I dont know much about turbos,but did see one listed on "Craigslist" a few months ago,one for a 6.5 with the manifolds,etc,supposedly freshly rebuilt,for 150 bucks or B/O!..:eek1:

I was very tempted,but had no cash,and I'd probably grenade my 6.2 if it went on it anyway..:rolleyes: ...good luck on your "find"!..

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I don't think a rebuilt turbo would be all that expensive, but I haven't priced that particular turbo. If it has an unreasonable amount of play, the bearings are probably toast.

4. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Used Banks turbo kits appear to be going for around $800 on Ebay. I just bought a like new GM5 turbo for $250 off ebay. Rebuild kits are going for $80-100 on Ebay for the GM turbo. Might give some perspective on prices of stuff.

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like a pretty decent price, but i don't know much. that's pretty cool man.

6. tRustyK5

The guy does have another turbo available that is 'like new'. Apparently it is slightly larger and from an International tractor. I'll know more when I see it all tomorrow. I could probably get the whole set-up with a the extra turbo for $500...or leave the extra turbo there and get the original one rebuilt if it really is bad.

I think for $300 I'd be a fool not to grab this deal even if the turbo does need rebuilding.

Rene

7. FWP

FWP CRS

FWIW, the turbo on the Dodge (Holset) and the Chevy (Banks)= 0 end play. A little side to side movement, but no where near enough to hit the housing. Both turbos work as they should. HTH

8. tRustyK5

OK, I'll be looking for any metal dust in the intake which would be a sign the fins were hitting the inside of the housing. So, a little in and out movement is OK, but up and down is bad then right?

Rene

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yep, you've got it. BTW, Banks used systems are running $1,000+ on eBay.

From what I've read ATS had a good system as well. ATS had their own exhaust manifold as well so check to see if it is included. One problem might be a rebuild kit, personally I've never seen one and don't know how scarce they may be. Might be worth a call to Majestic Turbo in Dallas. They'd probably know if it can be rebuilt and would be the guys to do the job.

The set-up is different than Banks so if it is missing parts like the upper intake it might take some ingenuity to adapt it. Ask about a Pyrometer and a boost meter, crossover pipe, adapter for stock intake or does it come with one?

Heck, call ATS, I'm sure they can tell you what you have to have and what you can do without.

All in all $300 sounds like a good gamble even if it's just a turbo in good shape. GM turbos are running $200 - $300 for used on eBay.

10. tRustyK5

This is the complete turbo system, and as far as I know it is still all bolted up to the motor. All the little knick-knacks, exhaust, intake adaptor (the cast aluminum chamber pot). I think this is gonna be a no brainer, even if I don't use it I won't lose money on it if i decide to re-sell later.

Rene

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have the ATS setup and I can help with a list of items included, I have yet to check if mine needs a rbeuild but I know ATS is not a fly by night company so I am sure the rebuild kits are around and not too much $$$
    300CND is a pretty good price for the setup grab it.:D

12. tRustyK5

I did grab it, and it's 99% complete. Looks like the only thing I'll need to do other than rebuild the turbo is add a grommeted hole to the valve cover for the oil return.

The turbo does have significant play in it, but oddly no discernable endplay. No filings in the intake either so I don't think the vanes were hitting the housing yet. I'll get it all cleaned up, and get the turbo rebuilt sometime in the next few weeks or months...then decide if it's going on my truck or not.

I may have got it for less than full price, the guy is most likely going to grab my H1 headers from me which will offset the initial price some.

Rene

13. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I'd throw that thing on in a heartbeat. Can you bump the Turbo up a bit if it needs rebuilt?

14. tRustyK5

I guess it would be cool to have on the truck, but to be honest I've never felt hard done by as far as power went yet, and it's not like it's a tow rig...which is why I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use it yet. Definitely leaning that way though. :wink1:

I really don't know what can be done to turbo's, so I'd prolly get this one rebuilt exactly as it was when new. The guy did have a brand new turbo there that would bolt up, but it was larger. As far as I understand larger equals more lag...but more boost at higher rpms. I think i could get that one for another $300. It's an Air research turbo that looks near identical to the Garret I now have, but the exhaust side is bigger.

Can turbo's be rebuilt by a shadetree guy like myself or are there specialized tools and stuff required?

Rene

15. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I dunno. I broke mine:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Still never got it all apart either!

The only saving grace is the wastegate arm is ruuuuuusted solid. Tried everything but the arm won't move. So the turbo isn't any good anyway:doah:

Oh yeah, "It Puts the Turbo on the Engine or It gets the HOSE!"

16. tRustyK5

Call me a dolt, but I never did look to see if this was a wastegated system...:blush:

I don't think it is.

As for stuff coming apart every bolt was pretty easy, even the manifold bolts...so hopefully the rest is easy too. The guy mentioned the ATS has a dealer locally here, so I will prolly give them a shout.

Rene

17. tRustyK5

*I saw silence of the Lambs last night too*

Don't forget that I have changed my entire suspension and drivetrain over the last two months and am a little burnt out at the moment. It probably will go on my truck, just not right away. :p:

Rene

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The vanes on the compressor wheel can be "clipped" a bit to help spool-up time, while not sacrificing much boost. There's a couple other tricks, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. There's a few import performance websites (which are totally different than "ricer" sites, to me anyway) that have some really good info on turbo performance and mods. I have a bunch of turbo sites bookmarked on my other computer... but it's not accessible right now.

Congrats on your find! And if you decide sometime next year you don't want it... well... I'll just have to make you an offer to take it off your hands!:D :D

19. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you took the words right outta my finger tips.... :D

20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

im not a much of a turbo go but i understand the principles... when you say exhaust side, do you mean where the exhaust enters, or exits? if its where its enters it should reduce lag time (one would think) because you have a better flow...hmm...then again smaller might crete more exhaust backpressure making it spool the turbo faster... hmm...we need someone int he know to explain:rolleyes::crazy: