Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going To My First Mud Drags..... Help Please *Results & Pics Added*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

So there are mud drags today at noon, only 30 miles away! We want to go of course. My dear hubby brought home the regulations and asked me what class I'd like to enter /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I'm so excited. I can't decide yet, Powder Puff or the "stock" class. Stock goes up to 33" tires so I'm ok there. The main thing is, what gear combo do you run it in? It's a 300' track. I only planned to watch, but participating sounds like fun to me! Any tips/suggestions are more than welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Going To My First Mud Drags..... Help Please

Be sure to run the regular class as well as the "powder puff - show the guys how to do it!

As for gear selection, run 4 low so the motor spins good and stays in the upper rpm where it makes power. You can let the tranny shift automatically but if you fell/hear the motor bogging down be ready to down shift manually. Keep that motor making noise and blast out the far end of the pit!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Good luck and be sure to post an update after the race! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Ok, running it as hard as I can in 4Lo won't kill it? That is what scares me. I know with the 700R4/NP241 and my 4.10 gearing I will launch pretty well. I have a hard time *not* launching it on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Man, I'd better get out to the truck & get it ready! Woohoo!

4. nvrenuf

Nah you wont hurt it, that's why I suggested letting it shift on it own. The tranny will automatically upshift before any chance of hurting the motor but it may also want to shift to a gear higher than you need which would bog the motor down (costing momentum and wheel speed).

Another benefit of running 4 low is that the t-case is taking the work load not the tranny.

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree with that. All the stock guys at the local mud bog run their trucks in 4Lo usually keep it in first and second. The only carnage I've seen is a broke driveshaft (guy was riding the clutch in a stick) and a burned up clutch in a stick. Good luck!

Kris

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like you've gotten good advice here. Another thing to look at is weight. My times improved when I pulled the top off and yanked out the back seat. Lower your tire pressure to around 15 pounds or so. Low enough for good launching traction and high enough to drive to the gas station for air. Have fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, running it as hard as I can in 4Lo won't kill it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to a certain extent. I was in a mud bog about a year ago and I ran my 350/700/241/4.56 and locked in 4Lo at full throttle through the whole pit shifting from 1st-2nd and I ended up spinning the bearing on my crankshaft and killing the engine /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well, at least I got 2nd only to a LWB Chevy w/ 40" Boggers and a BBC. Hey, at least I now have a $3 trophy that ended up costing me more than 6 grand in damages to the Jimmy /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

IMO, use the 4Lo put the Blazer in 2nd and use full throttle at the start...3/4 during the middle and full again when you bog down or finish. I made the mistake of never letting off the throttle till I burried my 37's

On a lighter note...Have fun and I hope you win!

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Pics are up! Webshots
    I placed 4th out of 11 in the Super Stock class. I could only afford to enter the one but will try to round up a sponsor or 2 for the next run (August 23rd, anyone want to sponsor a class?) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The Blazer did great. I'd have probably gotten 3rd, but to my dismay there was this big, built Chevy shortbox that stuck on some small tires to go in the 33" and under class /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. So he did great, then switched drivers and took the same truck through again. What is up with that? At any rate, I did better than I thought I would considering I'd never even seen a mud race before! Thanks for all the tips, guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Congrats on 4th! Looks like y'all had a blast up there! Be careful though, mud racing can be really addictive! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kris

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I can see how it can be addictive. As soon as I got done with the 1 run I wanted MORE. I thought about taking "donations" so I could run the Powder Puff, but decided it might not be appropriate. I already have a letter written and sent to a potential sponsor, for the run next month /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I can't wait to get my truck lifted with bigger tires so I can go play at the local mud runs out here. I try to go as often as I can. Good luck with the sponsership hunting!

Kris

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got hooked real bad for about two years. Its fun as hell. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

does anybody know of mudruns near dallas? i've NEVER heard of anything of that sort around here besides the mud drags in whitewright...

14. nvrenuf

HEY CONGRATS!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Glad to hear you did so good! Now you've been bitten, it's all downhill from here! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I was crushed this morning when I looked at my calendar for next month and I have a prior commitment that day that I can't get out of. That is the final race of the season for there. They only have 3 of them each year. Oh well, I guess next year is fine. I'll have to do plenty of trail riding to make up for not being able to do the mud drag.

16. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Congrats!!!!! Its a blast isn't it. I did it for a few years too and its very addicting. I feel the old bug again after looking at the pics /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got hooked real bad for about two years. Its fun as hell. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so your name is sandman, your avaitar is you on rocks and you got hooked on mud for 2 years! lol where's the sand come in? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What size tires are you running. That will depend on low lock a lot for next time. You want as much wheel speed as you can get. And with smaller tires, high range is usually better. Dends on a lot of things.

Good luck for next time!

Ken H.