Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

going to non-power windows 'n' locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 30, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

going to non-power windows \'n\' locks

anyone here swap their powered side+rear window mechanisms/locks out in exchange for manual stuff? if so, what was involved? Powered stuff is less reliable... and when i swap my doors on/off in exchange for tube doors its just one more thing to mess with. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: going to non-power windows \'n\' locks

Dude are you spying on me? i swear everytime i start to do something, i see you post about the same thing lol. My drivers door was pretty smashed so i just got another door with roll up windows, But i will be replacing the window guts on the passenger side........ I have it all taken apart (thx cassidy) its pretty tight in there, but it should be too hard, just kinda time consuming........

3. jekbrown

lol! great minds think alike i guess. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif our rigs are gonna be like evil twin brothers before long, if we keep doin the same poop. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

power stuff is fine... but it'd be MUCH more fun swapping full doors to to rube doors if there was no wiring to worry about... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

this was the best thing i did for my truck. it was real straight forward, change out to manual regulators and your good to go. getting the glass back in the tracks was pretty tight. i disconected the plug wiring under that dash, real neat and simple also pulled the fuse just in case. real nice to have working windows.

didnt do the rear window yet, might put on a soft top so no need for rear glass.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I would think you could make a male female plug to make things simple but why would you want to lose the power stuff----- weight? I guess more reliable well maybe but it sounds like 2 doors I would half to buy /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. jekbrown

yeah... Im just not a fan of powered poop. More wiring, more of a hassle. I have no probs turning a hand crank. Simple and it works. Power stuff just gives me problems... and even when it works fine, it rolls the passanger side window up super slow. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

anyway, guess I need to find a couple of manual junkyard doors to gut. Anyone know what years are compatible? think i tossed my LMC catalog. lol!

j

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

If you want to replace your regulators, I have a NOS right side regulator part # 14027432 (still in the GM package) that fit all GM trucks from 1973-1987 that I could give up.

Interested?