Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to replace draglink...where should I get it from?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Nov 11, 2002.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey all,
    I'm going home this weekend so I figured I'd replace the old, worn draglink with a new one. (Just a stock replacement - nothing dropped or fancy) I found what I need at autozone.com, and there's an autozone near my house. So, should I get the autozone draglink, or is it shotty quality? If not there, where should I go? I'm close to dealers, napa, parts-hut, and carparts.
    Thanks...if you have other suggestions could you include the part #'s and prices (if you know them), too?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Personally I think who made the part is more important than who is selling it. Moog makes quality stuff.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree about Moog. I've got a Moog tie-rod that came from Napa.
    The manufacturer of the draglink at Autozone is McQuay-Norris. Sorry I didn't include that.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

5. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I agree with Dorian on this one ... get the Moog pieces. I just did the drag-link a month or so ago. Easy job, not overly cheap, but easy. IIRC I spent about $100 for both ends and the adjusting sleeve (bought some other stuff too so I dont remember exactly how much it was). If I can find the receipt (somewhere in the truck, I think) I'll get the part #'s and the prices ...

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Lucky for you I have the part numbers you need. I replaced my draglink about a month ago. All these PNs are for Moog heavy duty units-

Tie rod PN:

ES2026R
    ES2027L

I suggest you spend the extra couple of bucks and buy a new adjusting sleeve. It's cheap and can save a lot of time if the old on is seized up.

Adjusting Sleeve PN:

ES362S

Hope this helps, brother!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree with the others, Moog is a quality part. I replaced my drag link about 3-4 months ago with the Autozone brand, I got both ends and the sleeve for about 60 dollars. They have worked fine so far.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Whoaaaa /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...help me out with this!!!
    Those part numbers you gave me (thanks by the way), those are the same part numbers from Autozone. Does this mean that this "McQuay Norris" draglink is the same as a Moog? Sure isn't a Moog price.
    Here's the link

I do agree with you about the adjusting sleeve - that's what I did when I bought my Moog tie-rod. I took one look at that adjusting sleeve and that made up my mind for me.
    Thanks again.

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Is the Autozone draglink still tight?
    Are you happy with the quality?
    I don't have a problem spending a couple extra bucks if it means better quality, but if the one from Autozone is good, I'd rather not.
    Thanks.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmmm......I'm in Canada, so maybe that has something to do with it. I always keep the box-ends with the PN stickers for future reference, and they say Moog on the box. The TREs also have Moog engraved on them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

FWIW, Federal Mogul owns the Moog name. Maybe "McQuay Norris" is owned by Federal Mogul too. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Could be...I'll have to check out the draglinks at Autozone before I go plop down an extra $40 at Napa.
    Thanks for your input, everybody.

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Yep, it's still tight and doing fine. I am happy with the quality, I haven't had any problems with it at all.

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that's probably what I'll get.

15. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

You guys should look at www.autopartsgiant.com The price for those part #'s above at Kragen was $58.99 & they would have to order them. At auto parts giant they were around $26-29 each. Even after shipping & paying a rush fee it was only $70.

16. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I just replaced min about a week ago. I bought them at Pep Boys. The cost was about $55 for the front and rear ($24.99 and $29.99, respectively). I saw no reason not to keep the original adjusting sleeve. I don't know who made them though.