Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to replace my heater core and rear shoes today...anything to note?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Flexy K20, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Well I got busy day ahead of me today, I gotta replace my heater core and the shoes on my 14BFF.
    I was curious if there is anything to take note of or to look out for. I got's Grim's article on the heater core
    replacement (really good article) and I was just going to go at it. Is there anything I am going to need? I already got
    the two tools for doing the springs in the drums, but is there anything else? Thanks -Flexy

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

You might wat to take your drums in and get them turned since you will have them out. Pep boys charges $7/drum.

Also check out the brake hardware for wear. You might need a couple pieces. I think kits are $20. Most rear drum setups I have seen have a couple newer parts replaced in them.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My only advice is make sure the rear shoes you get are riveted, not bonded. I've seen bonded ones come apart enough to make me stay away from them.

All else aside, unless the rear drums are giving you problems now, I wouldn't touch them UNLESS the shoes are very worn down.

4. Rocky91

Rocky91 Registered Member

Re: Going to replace my heater core and rear shoes today...anything to note

Just replaced my heater core for the first time last Saturday. I didn't read the article first but it wasn't hard to figure out. The only thing I would suggest is that you spray some liquid wrench around the bolts that stick through the fire wall into the engine compartment. I didn't think of it and broke two of the three bolts cause they were so rusted up. Also, to save some time, you don't really have to drain any fluid. I didn't, I think I might have lost like 2 tablespoons, nothing noticable.