Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to school... finally

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 26, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well I just got done meeting with the recruiter for Wyotech. I am signed up for a January start. Will be in Blairsville PA, opposite side of the state for me. First course will be, an Associate Business Management course. Woohoo, three months of a white shirt, tie, and a desk. Then general auto stuff for 6 months, then finally the reason for going, 3 months of Chassis Fabrication and High Peromance Engines. Before you start you have to get Certified in MIG and TIG welding, exactly what I wanted to hear /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, can't wait... maybe I can, we shall see how it goes, finally going somewhere with my life.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

cool beans dude.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

right on! sounds like your going into what I did. I got a 2 year degree in automotive maintenance, with a few design and performance classes thrown in for good measure, with a minor in small business management. you should enjoy it, also you can expect to spend a few years in OTJT, it's the only way to learn all the cool stuff. Noww for the bad news, you'll never earn tons of cash doing this, you'll be able to fix it if it has wheels, you might get lucky and get your own business, but even then, not alot of cash, I just go to sleep every night knowing I can fix most things, that most humans want nothing to do with... like big honkin blazers! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifGood luck. M

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

seriouslly man, I'm not going into it to make a fortune. All I care is that someday I am plenty able to support myself, a wife, maybe a few kids and maybe a hobby. I just want to set myself up for something that I can pay the bills doing. Dream of course, own a shop building cars or crawlers, someday maybe it will happen. There is a drag car manufacturer right down the road I will apply to when I graduate, and I'm more than aware I will probably be turning wrenchs at some dealership or whatever for a few years.

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Good for you sled dog! Stay the course and reap the benefits. Right on buddy. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've toured Wyotech's shop up in Laramie a couple of times. It is really neat, and the people there seem to love it. I also know that they will help place you in a job when you graduate. A local hot rod guru that I know is always getting calls from Wyotech looking for any possible job opprotunities for the students.

The last time I was there they had just opened their new chasis shop. There was a sweet tubular chasis in the entrance lobby.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congratulations! Back when I was a young man I graduated from Arizona Automotive Institute (AAI). If you are really interested in racing, then you should get about two to three years of hands on in the General Automotive Repair Industry, and then try to get on with a team.

I spent three years touring the NHRA circuit with two different Fuel Funny Car teams, and let me tell you it is quite a circus. If you want to tour with the professional circuit with a team, then try to do it before you have a family because working for a professional race team on the NASCAR, NHRA, or IRL circuit is no job for a family man.

When working for a professional race team, be prepared to be up at 7: AM in the morning, and working until 9 or 10: PM that night 3 to 4 days a week, and then traveling the other 3 days of the week; especially with the expanded race season that started in most circuits about 4 or 5 years ago because of the increased demand for racing dates across the country.

When working for a professional race team, be prepared to eat, breath, and sometimes literally sleep with the teams race cars. You will have no time for Television, Newspapers, or any type of socializing because you will exist in a world of your own, which contains only the people in your cars team, racetracks, crowds, race haulers, and the teams race cars, which you will become intimately familiar with.

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good choice. When I got out of high school I thought about doing the same thing but we were poor and my parents couldn't afford it. I can afford it now but I'm 36, 4 years from an Air Force retirement. I don't want to start a career in wrenching and fabbing. I'll be doing enough of this on my own

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif