Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going to see a 79 and 91 sub. what to look for

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Sep 17, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The 79 is a 3/4 and has 35s on it. 350 4 speed/203 with a parttime kit. The 91 is real clean no rust 350 700/208 and it is a K10. What should I watch out for? Thanks guys mike

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The '91 comes with a 241 from the factory.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Iwould look at mileage and overall performance and appearence. I know this is different for you guys but I just bought a john deere combine at an auction. There was another same model combine as the one I got at the auction and was 10 years newer but was all rusted out, shot internals, kept outside, and not taken care of. The older one(mine) was in good shape because the owner took good care of it and had many new internal parts. Anyway the 3/4ton is stronger and better for towing but the 91' will get better fuel mileage and probably has all the creature comforts that the late models have. Choose the one best for you. Ok I'm done

--------------------
    85K5,3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

RUST ....

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Check area like the gas fill line. Mine looks great from the outside, but inside, where the gas fill tube cuts thru the interior, it's rusted out. Also, check little things like the condition of the air filter. If it's real nasty, the guy may not be doing the regular maintenance needed.(If you can't change an air filter, what about oil and tranny fluid? Check the frame by the steering box for cracks. Motor and body mounts. RPO codes should match options you see. Make sure the A/C works /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Make sure the neon underbody lighting is in good shape /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Definitely make sure that the 100spoke gold Dayton Rims haven't been damaged by competing in hydraulics competitions /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    What is the difference between a New Jersey hooker and trash? Trash gets picked up once a week. Heh heh heh. Sorry, my buddy from NYC tells that one all the time at the firehouse, because one of our new guys if from Camden.
    Good luck with your hunt for a K5.

6. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Check area like the gas fill line. Mine looks great from the outside, but inside, where the gas fill tube cuts thru the interior, it's rusted out. Also, check little things like the condition of the air filter. If it's real nasty, the guy may not be doing the regular maintenance needed.(If you can't change an air filter, what about oil and tranny fluid? Check the frame by the steering box for cracks. Motor and body mounts. RPO codes should match options you see. Make sure the A/C works /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Make sure the neon underbody lighting is in good shape /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Definitely make sure that the 100spoke gold Dayton Rims haven't been damaged by competing in hydraulics competitions /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    What is the difference between a New Jersey hooker and trash? Trash gets picked up once a week. Heh heh heh. Sorry, my buddy from NYC tells that one all the time at the firehouse, because one of our new guys if from Camden.
    Good luck with your hunt for a Burb.

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

on the older one check for frame cracks around the stering gear box. I got burned with my truck because it was all cracked up.

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    has all the creature comforts that the late models have.

[/ QUOTE ]
    power windows and mufflers?

9. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the replys. Let you guys know how it goes. Mike

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is a bunch of stuff like fold up seat instead of pins, power windows/locks,better chance with the A/C working on the 91,cruise contol, more stuff I cant think of right now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif A lot of little improvements that aren't very noticable until you relize it.