Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Going Topless - Security

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I was reading Brian's concerns about security. I don't think this would work so well with being in school all day, but wanted to say that wherever possible, I take my dog with and leave her in the truck. She has a dish of water and when she lays down gets shade. I have her tied in with a horse trailer tie that is attached to the rear seat flip handle (the one in the middle, at the floor). I figure it will be some form of intimidation at least. Too bad she is a Golden and always wagging her tail. Oh - the trailer tie makes it so that she can't possibly jump over the bed sides and strangle herself or anything. She can stand or lie down. She loves to go for rides. I bought a cd player for the truck in December and I don't know what we were thinking, but the faceplate is not removable.

Have a great weekend!

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Andrea,

You could leave poochie at home and have an alarm installed that has motion detection capability, even if it is an add on. A few guys in the local club have them in their Jeeeeeeeps. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Other than that, removable steering wheel lock..........'the Club'..........brake pedal lock, and of course a Tuffy security console will also help out.

3. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

when I had my 72k5 I ran toppless all the time even though I had a soft top. I had a amp, a cd player,cb and a tack in my k5 and never had any problems with people messing with my stuff. If they stole it it would suck for them because the cd play and amp, speakers had mud in them and would hardley work.
    The best way is like what frank said get a good alarm.
    Colin

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'm not real concerned, just saying that I think having a dog in my truck might help to keep theives away. How would they know her disposition? Just sharing a tip. Of course this is just for errand-running trips and stuff. I wouldn't leave her all day. I take her with regardless because she's so sad if I don't. All I have to do is say the word "ride" and she is jumping in place!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If I was a thief I sure as hell wouldn't even get close to a open vehicle with a dog that could possibly chew my face off. But alarms don't hurt you and most people nowadays don't think twice when they hear a car alarm going off, but would turn to see a barking, growlin', snarling, foaming at the mouth dog about to tear you a new arsehole.......JMO

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I need a meaner looking dog than my Golden. I know she can't reach anyone unless they stick their hand in my truck, because she is on a horse trailer tie. So far it works well as a theft deterrant, and makes her happy at the same time. I just keep telling her to stop wagging her tail so much and smiling. LOL.

7. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

my boxer likes to ride in the truck and everbody says he looks mean, others say he's just dang ugly, but no one wants to walk on the same side of the street if we are walking, even if he is just 125 lbs of puppy with big drooling jowls. oh well, now if i could keep the cat from messing him up! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Fish hooks and liquid steel work great. Epoxy the fish hooks of various sizes under your dash and to the back of your radio and dash equipment. If someone reaches up there to pull something out it will be the last time. When I had my heep with a soft top and soft doors I did that. Someone tried to get my equalizer which I had built in from behind the dash by the glove box, bad idea. It was messy cleaning up the blood and the little pieces of meat strands that were left behind, but it was educational for someone.

John

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

My dogs love my truck. The little one isn't so scary, but the big one can be and she knows it. She likes the eliment of surprise. Someone will walk by too close and she'll pop up "Barr arr arrra rrr!!!" right in their ear lol!

I'm going to get some ammo boxes to lock everything up. I also want to build a center console to put my cb and stuff inside.
    Right now, I dont' have much inside my truck worth stealing *shrug*

10. rambler

rambler Registered Member

I live in an area of town where cars get stolen all the time.
    Friends have had theirs stolen repeatedly.
    Makes ya want to do the old "poison a bottle of whiskey and leave it under the drivers seat" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Doesn't gaurntee that you get your rig back, but there is a good chance that there will be one less car thief in the world.

Juyst kidding - <font color="red"> DO NOT DO THIS </font color>

Im looking to go toppless too - I figue a tuffy console is the first step to a little security. After that, ammo boxes.

11. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Thats why I decided not to install my soft top and sell it instead I live in an area thats full of crime. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ....and the little pieces of meat strands that were left behind, but it was educational for someone.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ouch! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I'm glad it's not a high crime area here by any means. We do have some trouble with teenagers once in awhile. My dog works fine for now, and I like the fish hooks idea! If your soft top didn't take out the backseat, I'd want it for sure.

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

youre right some people dont think twice when an alarm is going off but when you buy a good reputable alarm(such as viper) you get a starter kill feature which disables the starter as long as the alarm is armed...even if you cut the alarm starter signal goes through the brain so theres no way theyre stealing the whole truck...

personally id rather them take my stuff that i can get insurance money for and leave my truck that i would never get the value back out of...

Later

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If someone wants what you have, it doesnt matter what you have done to protect your self. No ones tried to steal mine yet but they have broken in and stole my stereo more then once. most people don't even look when a car alarm goes off no days. The best thing to do is have one that has a great pager that notifies you what has happened.