Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Golf Ball Question!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trollporter, Nov 16, 2004.

1. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ran golf balls in their tires for balancing. I've read a litle bit on PBB but was wanting some more info. Is one name brand heavier than others? How many per tire? etc... I've heard about six per tire for a 39.5 and thats what i'm going with. What's your thoughts on it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I did the golf ball thing last year and it helped out a ton. I ended up with about 8 of them in my 39.5" TSL's. I just picked up a bag of the "recovered" balls at walmart.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive got between 3 and 7 in each of my Q78 TSL's, works great.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

I have 5 each in my 42 TSLs, (that's all I had at the time) It works, I still have a little vibration from about 40-45 so i plan to add a few more...

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

What gold balls.
    How does it work?

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Has anyone ever looked inside a tire after running them for a while? Any adverse effects to the inner liner of the tire?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

thats the only thing that would make me weary of running em, of course, with the limited tread life of a swamper, i dont think it would be huge, now if they lasted 50k miles........

8. trollporter

I don't think that they would wear on the inside to bad because it souldn't take to much speed to put them in orbit and find where they need to be. Has anyone used BB's?It would take even less speed to put them in orbit and they would conform better to the out of balanced spot. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Let's think about this,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Running down the freeway 55-60 mph,tire blows (for whatever reason) Golf balls pinging of other peoples cars as they try to avoid the shrapnel,,,hope you've got an insurance company that's understanding as to why you have GOLF BALLS IN YOUR TIRES!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let's think about this,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Running down the freeway 55-60 mph,tire blows (for whatever reason) Golf balls pinging of other peoples cars as they try to avoid the shrapnel,,,hope you've got an insurance company that's understanding as to why you have GOLF BALLS IN YOUR TIRES!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That would be some funny chit

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if one of my 40" swamps blows going 60 MPH some golf balls flying would be the least of my worries.

12. trollporter

It couldn't be no more dangerous than some of the other POSes i've seen on the road here in SC. (S.Carolina = No Vehicle Inspections) /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

What's this insurance that you speak of. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So how do you determine how many to put in each tire? I will be running 40" Hawgs beadlocked so how many would I need? I have plenty of Golf Balls laying around if any one needs some.

14. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Golf Balls??? What Golf Balls? I don't know nuthin about no stinkin' golf balls! I think full-on denial would be in order should that unfortunate situation arise.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Some people use a buble balancer to figure it out. I just started with 3 in each and if one would start to vibrate, i would add another ball, if it vibrated real bad, i threw in a few. I bassically played arround with it for a few days until i got to the point where its smooth sailing at highway speeds.

16. trollporter

Have you noticed any inside tire wear? What size tires do you run?

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member