Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gonna ask a dumb question- here goes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Dec 28, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif's getting new shoes for my birthday, and I want to get new rims to go with them....

I was just checking American Racing's site, and it has bolt pattern, back spacing etc... I haven't a CLUE what the heck I'm suppose to know...HELP..

I don't know what information you need to tell me, so ask me and maybe I know????

sorry for such a stupid question.

Brandy

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

bolt pattern is the number of bolts and the diameter they are in, 1/2 ton is 6 on 5.5, meaning 6 bolt (lug) holes on a 5.5 diameter; 3/4 and 1 ton is 8 on a 6.5 meaning 8 bolt (lug) on a 6.5 inch diameter, these are for chevy; dodge, ford and jeep have some different patterns for the 1/2 ton stuff but generally the 8 lug stuff is the same (wheel wise) unless you get to the super-duty's; back spacing is the amount the wheel is offset in relation to the back edge of the rim, lay a rim flat on its face, lay a straight edge across it and measure to the bolt circle, (flange) and that is back-space /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1/2 ton is 6 on 5.5, meaning 6 bolt (lug) holes on a 5.5 diameter;

[/ QUOTE ]

Alrighty- that'd be me...but the backspacing- I'm thinking I read here 3.5" - 4.0"....but am not sure....Problem is around here there aren't very many intelligent tire guys- if I walked in and said- I want X rim- for X truck- they wouldn't know much more than me.....3.5 I think is what I need...

thanks Jeff!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Brandy

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3.5 inches of backspacing is what some folks use to better clear the front brake calipers on 3/4 and 1-ton 8-lug axles. For your half-ton stuff, the standard 4.25 inch backspacing will work just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Thank you!

Posted in the off-camber forum to see what Steve can get for a price for me...

thanks again guys!!

Brandy

6. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Is it really 4 1/4?

I think it is 3 3/4"?