Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna be building a garage next year- few q's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by freeflow, Nov 22, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

Well since i am living at home and we only have a 2 car garage- we are looking at building another garage. Now i dont really plan on moving 2 far from where we live now since i love this part of the state- so i got to thinking im 20 years old dont really wanna buy my own property yet but would like my own apartment and a spot to work on my vehicles.

So me and the old man are talking about building a 30'x 50' with one side having a loft/apartment above one side and the other side would be a double high stall for a lift.

This is kinda what we are thinking of building.

http://www.cadsmith.com/garage_plans/rv_garages/rv-3254.htm

Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to build a garage similar to that?

brad

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

2 questions

1. Are you gonna help pay for this?
    2. Who stands to benefit from this in the future? Meaning if your parents pass away, is it left to you or siblings too... or if they sell it will you benefit?

Just wondering cause if your paying these are thing you have to think about...

Also if you can, dont bother with an apartment. try to buy a house ASAP. When you rent all that money goes to nowhere... when you buy it goes back to you...

ALso the money spent on that garage would cover the down payment on a house with a garage:wink1:

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Or looking further at the pics, live above it:D

4. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

me and the parents are going half-half on whatever we build- and yeah i would like to live right above the garage there-it has enough room for me-bedroom-kitched-bathroom- and a little living room.

And yes if the folks decided to move they would pay me what i put into the building. And in like 5 years or so when i decide i wanna buy some property they will buy my half of the garage from me.

brad