Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GONNA BLOW???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 30, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well its a 350 it dosent have a TON of miles but its not brand new either. Well im wondering if its gonna blow up because ill be crusing down the road at a even rpm and the eninge will start to cut out then go cut go cut go some times it will do it for a wile some times just a few times it also did it last time I went up a steep bridge. I looked at the oil pressure gauge when it happended to day and was fine but im not sure if it really works 100%. Any help would be appriciated. BTW I want to keep it a 350 I dont want to bore so what im I looking at for a rebuild? pistions and rings? anything else? I was told you can pull out the pistions though the bottom of the engine (after the oil pan removed)

Also someone told me it could be a fuel pump???

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I dont want to sound like a dick /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, but filling out your profile would help to answer questions like..

Fuel Injected
    Year
    Location of Fuel Pump.

If it is fuel injected, it could be a filter, or the pump.

John

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Its a carb and i dono about the fuel pump and its a 85 truck

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> This is either a fuel delivery or an ignition problem. It sounds totally unrelated to the condition of the engine itself. </font color>

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ignition as in? btw its got a HEI
    Also it dosent do it every day but it a daily driver and seems to do it in the seame stretch oh the road where there not a hole lot of traffic or any stoplights or intersections and you do 55-65 in that are but seem like when it happens im doen about 60.
    When you say fuel dilevery do you meen like a new fuel pump?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I mean, either it's not getting enough fuel, it's getting too much fuel, or the spark is not consistent. I'd guess it's afuel problem though. It could be as simple as an out of tune carb, but with what you've posted I see no reason to suspect that the engine is on the way out. That is, unless it's surging because it's running really lean, then you could have toasted the engine... </font color>

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

how should i go about adjusting the carb its a quada jet does anyone think its the fuel pump though?

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

change the fuel filter too

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you don't know what you're doing, I would recomened having someone else do it for you. What part of FL are you in ???? I'm sure a CK5 member near you would be happy to show you how to tune it propperly.

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just swapped a big block into my '76...Had a very smiliar problem afterwards.....At about 3200 RPM's it would kinda fall flat on it's face and stumple, surge ect....I didnt know it at the time but the feul pump from my small block wasn't compatable with the big block Actually read that in a buds Hollander Interchange manual. While I was at his place, I was also talkin to him about timing......Ended up pullin the cap and rotor off the distriutor, and found out that the advance springs were too light and not alowwing ANY advance. Put some stiffers springs in it and got a BB feul pmp..Now it runs like a raped ape. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im not a dummy at this ive messed around with 4wheeler carbs and am just not formiller with a quadrajet or anytype of truck carb and theres no one by me ive checked

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It could be something really basic. i had some problems a while back that were caused by having a bad ground on the coil-truck would work ok, then not, then ok, etc. Took off the ditributor cap, noticed some corrosion on the ground wire, cleaned up and worked fine since, that was 2 years ago. I should replace the cap, and coil n stuff, just haven't got to it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Could it be a vacume problem?

14. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

sounds to me like it could be a dirty needle and seat maybe and its causin the bowls to stick and lettin in too much or too little fuel! try cleaning the carb

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Could I do it with carb cleaner or take it off and take it apart?