Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna build a shop (Ideas-Comments) help!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Nov 11, 2004.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well I'm tired of laying on the cold wet ground or wiggling across the gravel on my back and just love rain dripping down my collar as I do "have to" repairs on my vehicles.

I think I want a 30x30x10ft tall metal building with a concrete floor with spray on insulation. One 10ft wide roll-up and one normal hinged door for easy entrance. The ground slopes slightly, maybe a foot drop max in the thirty feet the building will cover. Thats what I think I want.

I suppose I'll get a equity loan for $10,000 which I think will cover it. Have the concrete poured by someone and the company that sells the building set it up.

That is what I think I want..........what do y'all recommend.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

How tall will the door be? I like tall doors for tall trucks and also if you have something in the back of a truck you can still drive into the shop to unload it. My friend has a 30x30 and almost the entire front is doors. He has 2 roll up doors and only a 2' wide pillar in the center. One side is for projects and the other for parking or general maintenance. I would go 30x40 so you could use the 30x30 area to work in and the extra 10x30 for toolboxes, equipment, work tables, shelves, etc.

3. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Always build it bigger than the biggest size you want, cause you will end up needing the space. And I dont know if you can do it due to the description of the lot you gave, with grades and such, but putting rollup doors at both ends comes in very handy sometimes. Good luck with the buildup.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Good point on doors at both ends. This is how my 40x60 is set up and it works real well for using a running truck to pull a broken/non-running truck into the shop.

5. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Always build it bigger than the biggest size you want, cause you will end up needing the space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I have a 50 x 40 that I figured would be big enough for working on our farm equipment and general maintence. I wish I would have made it bigger. I'm looking at adding on to it, but it would be a pain in the you know what to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. dontoe

I was trying to keep it very close to $10,000 is the only reason I feel limited to 30x30. How tall would ya'll think for the walls/doors.

I was planning on metal building with spray on insulation.......cement block building is another idea I suppose.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I would try and go at least 36' long and w/ 12' walls so that you can get an 11' door. I will also never build another shop w/o putting the pipes in the conc floor to run a circulating heating system thru. I don't think the piping is that much, so even if you cant get the heating system right now at least build for it now!
    You can get alot for your money if you go w/ a pole building.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'd want high ceilings and 2 big roll up doors to help dissapate summer heat. Also, lots of electrical outlets and lighting.

Maybe research the requirements for a lift (slab thickness, etc) and incorporate that into the build. You may not want one now but if you change your mind 5 years from now it's nice to know you're ready for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

If ( morer like when ) I build another shop I plan to run piping for my air comp. right alomg with the electric and where ever I have an electiric outlet Im also gona put a quick conect for air. I bugs the crap outa me to have to drag air hose all over the place to work.

10. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd want high ceilings and 2 big roll up doors to help dissapate summer heat. Also, lots of electrical outlets and lighting.

How about adding a/c for those working on projects in the summer heat /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Also don't forget the restroom /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a deep sink. yu wont regret it.

also like stated bfore go as big as you can. you wont regret it. oil pit shouldnt cost to much ethier. nothinglike being able to stand up under a ride and change the oil and lube the chasi.

a larger than wanted/needed breaker box because im sure you will need it. also, see if you can do your own wiring as it isnt hard and can save a it of cash.

and a loft... so i can move in when i get out of the corps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

grant

12. dontoe

Well I hope to do the wiring my self. Was wanting to run the airline overhead with drop down hoses. The loft would be good if it is a cement block bldg. I'd like the air lift like the tire shops.

Metal bldg or cement block????????????