Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna build an engine test stand

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Nov 18, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I am gonna build an engine test stand so I can break in my motor without having to pull the motor out of my truck.

Anybody built one of these?

I was thinking of using 1" square tubingto build it. I am gonna use junk trans case or bellhousing to bolt the rear of the motor to and solid mounts for the sides of the motor. Gonna mount a radiator and some guages. Probably oil,water, and a tach. I am gonna build it tall enough so I can mount the headers and some mufflers on it. It should make breaking in and setting up the motor easier than climbing in and out of the truck.

Any other suggestions?

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

Why bother, i have never broken in a motor that way, just put it in the vehicle and take it easy and do some gentle accels and gentle decels to get everything workin good and then go at er. never had a motor blow up or have any problems with them, and i have installed almost 15 motors this race season alone.

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

More of a project than a necesity. It would make selling motors easier down the road if the perspective buyer can here it run.

I'm GONNA build it. Just wondering if anybody else has or has any suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like to build my engines with very very tight clearances thus I like to break them in on a stand for a while nice and slow. I'll be building another stand soon for the 496 I'm building. My old one is kind of small.

I was checking a few out at SEMA and basically just going to use 1" square tubing like you said and build a small dash with tach, oil pressure, fuel pressure, temp, and possibly a vacuum gauge. Going to put it on locking casters as well so it's easy to move around.

5. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

K2,
    Go for it man. I built one, a very stout one. Go to my site and scroll down on my main page and you will see it.
    I have many more pics. I will post them if you want. I have about 80.00 into it. Most of the cost was for the wheels and the HD extendable feet. I got the metal from a left over job I did.
    T.J.

Here are some pics I was able to upload to my webserver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go here:
    www.tjsperformance.com

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'll take a few pics of ours this weekend when I go home too if you want. It took my Dad, neighbor, and I about 2 hours and $0 to build. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We test ran a 350 I bought for about 5 minutes on it and revved it up with no problems. We had to feed it gas with a bottle and hotwire a battery to the starter

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

find a old aluminum/steele bakers rack 6ft tall we built 1 for a 454,but has had 500hp 350 on it

8. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

TJS did you hook up the alt. or just run it off the bat?
    A brief explanation of the wiring would help a bunch! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I just ran it off the batt. The alt. is hooked so I can turn the water pump and run the cooling system. Let me know if I can help you more. I have many pics of the build on this thing. I guess I will do a web page on this build when I get a chance.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com