Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna do a homemade shackle flip today.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MOABDADC22, Sep 2, 2003.

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Like the title says, I am going to do a homemeade sahckle flip today. Any words of wisdom??

I am going to use a torch to cut the rivets and to make a "rough cut in the hanger, then use a cut off wheel/grinder to clean up the hole.

I should get 4" of lift right? Will the pinion need a shim now?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could probably do it without removing the hanger from the truck...

I cut the hole then trial fitted the shackle, made sure it had plenty of swing in either direction before re-assembling everything.

I also added a couple of gusset plates on the top side for strength.

[​IMG]

You will gain 4" and you might have to shim the axle and or drop the T-case. IIRC we shimmed 4 degrees on my buddies truck and dropped the T-case 1" (or less...I'd have to have a look again)

Grease the hell out of the shackle bolts when you put it back together, or get some greasable bolts and stuff. It really helps ride and flex.

Rene

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep, 4" of lift. As for shims for pinion angle, and I'll probably get hammered for telling you, I didn't use any. Dropped the t-case (208) 1" and went with it. Haven't had any problems in two years +.

John

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Actually, you will only get 2-3" of lift with this flip.

For example - I run 6" Skyjacker springs in the front. In the rear, I have 4" Superlift Springs (New) and 1" Zero rate and my truck sits level.

As Rene said, no need to remove the hanger to do this mod. Use a Cutoff Wheel without the guard (be careful and wear leather gloves). I did this in about an hour - many moons ago!

Also, use a welding blanket to keep sparks off your gas tank and filler tube. I also would run a box fan under the truck to keep the air circulated to keep Gas fumes from building up.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno Neil,

On my buddy's 89 Blazer we installed 4" Pro-comps up front and did the home brew flip in the rear with stock springs. No zero rate and the truck sits level...maybe 1/4"-1/2" high in the rear. It definitely does not have any rear sag though.

Even using the soft 57's I got 4" in the rear of my truck...

Rene

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My Superlift springs were brand new when I installed them along with this flip. I think my Skyjacker front springs may be more than 6" for some reason. I just didn't want anyone to assume you get 4" and get less - Go Prepared!!! Saggy butt is a bad thing.

Think of it this way - you typically get half of what your shackle difference is. Lets say, you have a 1" longer shackle than stock; you are moving the spring eye 1" lower than before and you gain roughly 1/2" of lift as a result. What is the existing length of a GM rear shackle? If it's 4" length and you flip it over - moving the spring eye 8" lower than it was, you gain roughly 4" of lift regardless of what your springs are doing.

Oh and, some people do require about 2.5 degrees of angle shims added for this mod.

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think my Skyjacker front springs may be more than 6" for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's the problem right there. the skyjackers tend to run taller.
    i know that my truck sat taller with the 8" skyjackers than my brother-in-laws truck when he installed an 8" superlift.

8. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Mudzer - your rear springs must be sagging or maybe it's the brand, because every single person who I have ever talked to that has done it (oh yea, and I did it too), got 4".

When I redid my suspension, I put new stock springs in the rear with a 4" longer shackle (for lowering a '99-__ Silverado), and netted 6". I have 6" softrides in front, and the rear is a little bit higher, because I took the bed off, and I have yet to put the fuel cell, spare tire, toolbox, and flatbed on.

9. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies and info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I never got around to doing it today, so I will do it tomorrow.

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Rusty,

Could you post a picture of what the hole looks like from the bottom and/or top? I'm trying to see exactly how you did this. Looks like a cheaper solution to the shackle reversal kit. Not to mention not having to take out the gas tank in priceless. I've been waiting for $$ as I need to shackle reversal kits. I might just be ready for my upgrade not /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif