Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna go play in Florence this weekend

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Erich_in_AZ, May 14, 2002.

1. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

A bunch of us are going to go out to the Florence area this weekend. Many of us will have dirt bikes or quads, but we should have some 4x4's along as well.

We are heading up Friday Night, and staying until sometime Sat afternoon. The guys want to see the coke ovens, and I had thought about suggesting Martinez Canyon. Anyone ever try to take a bike or quad through the canyon?

I should warn you, this is a "Guys night out" sort of thing that will probably result in some serious beer swilling Friday night. Probably not for the faint of heart, but if it sounds like fun to you, let me know.

Erich

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm not going back there until my blazer has time to rest. I still need to take care of my tie rod before I do anything "offroad". How was Gardner? I was all set to go, then one of the kids asked me (in front of my wife) Dad, have you seen the snake? he's not in the cage! Which isn't all that bad except we found out friday afternoon that it was a lyre snake, not a gopher snake like I thought. For those of you that don't know, a lyre snake is venomous! It's a rear fang snake so not much danger for humans but my wife couldnt be concvinced. Anyone know how to make a snake trap???

3. Erich_in_AZ

Gardner was nice. I didn't get in enough riding time, but I did find a camp spot I have been looking for.

Sorry to hear about the snake getting loose.... That really sucks! I heard somewhere that you can use a bowl of warm mild to attract a snake. Might be BS, but who knows.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

It's gonna be hot...!! You guys gonna be out on the trail early?

Where's the beer swilling gonna happen? Lower Woodpecker would be my vote.

Marv

5. Erich_in_AZ

We are heading up Friday evening after work. Most of the beer swilling will probably happen Friday night. I would like to try to camp at the 1st windmill area after the box canyon junction. It should be big enough for the group. My only concern is getting a trailer across the one rough spot on the road in.
    Depending on everyones condition Sat a.m, I would guess we will hit the trails around 8:00 or so.

If you are going to be in the area, stop by. I'll even buy you a Bud Light...... ( idon't want to hear it Jimmy!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Erich,

So, you're gonna camp at the 1st windmill.... Isn't that right where that rutted hill spurs right off the road on the South side?

What about Saturday Morn? Gonna go to Martinez?

I'm thinking of cruising out on Friday nite to have a beer w/you. Love to do some wheelin', but I fear that Saturday is gonna get hot before you'd make it thru Martinez. Maybe we could get into a little bit'o'stuff on Friday night??!?

Marv

7. Erich_in_AZ

That sounds like the spot. We camped there a couple of months ago, and watched people go up and down that hill. It was good entertainment. Watched a brand new Landrover Discovery almost rip his bumper off. Still had the temp tags. Broke a taillight and drug the crap out of his bumper. The guy didn't seem to care at all...

I'm not sure of the schedule. It's not really well organized. Looks like our group is already down to about 5-7 guys, but last time we were out, they were pretty fun partiers.

I'm all for running on Friday night, and I'm pretty sure the other guys would be for it too. I'm not sure how many of us have lights, but I know Jason (the guy that is putting it together) wants to get some time in Friday evening. I know saturday is going to be hot, but that's what we get for living in the desert. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Have Camelbak, will travel!

Looks like we will be heading out between 4:00 and 5:00 Friday. I'll PM you my cell # if you want to try to get together for the trip out there.

Erich

8. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

A Friday night run sounds good to me. I have to work Sat. But i have only been out there once before so i need to know how to get to were we are meeting.

9. Erich_in_AZ

I just noticed you are not a Tucson guy. My bad! I guess you wouldn't want to drive down here, only to go back north huh? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

We are going to meet another Phoenix person at the info booth at Cottonwood Canyon Rd. I should know more about the timimg of our departure tonight. Again, sorry things aren't a little more organized.....

10. Erich_in_AZ

Do you know how to get to Cottonwood Canyon Rd? If you do, it looks like that's where we will be meeting people. If not, let me know, and I'll post directions.

Erich

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

How long are you gonna stay at Cotton wood Canyon? Don and I are thinking of heading up. Have spare spare axles, driveshafts, t cases, steering boxes, drums rotors, calipers, steering wheel......... hell we might as well tow the spare blazer behind us! Will travel.
    If you're all gonna hang at the windmill we can find you no sweat. We may come in box canyon way to avoid the trust land police! You all be on ch.4 right??

12. Erich_in_AZ

We will probably stay at the windmill overnight. Looks like we are going to leave by BY 5:00 tomorrow. I am going to meet up with the guys on Oracle somewhere.
    I thought you got your State Land Permit......
    I'll be on Ch4.....

Gotta go pack, just got back from Star Wars! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Erich

13. Erich_in_AZ

It looks like we are going to meet at the Cottonwood Canyon flagpole at 6:15ish if you want to catch us there. I'll be on ch4.

Erich

14. Erich_in_AZ

I think we will bw leaving Tucson (From the north side) at about 5:00. Give me a call if you want to meet up. I'll be on ch4.

Erich

15. Erich_in_AZ

He Marv, Just FYI, I met up with Jim and Don this afternoon. Don broke his steering knuckle at Martinez Canyon. They should be on their way to fix it now. Just an FYI in case you are bored...

Erich

16. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Oh man Erich, you got out of my driveway JUST in the nick of time! We're grounded. Tomoorow we're gonna head back up for the last time. I think Don's gonna stick to cruisin the boulevard. I'm all for Charleau tho!!!. Need to fix a few things first tho.......Anyway, were gonna leave at 6 am if you're innerseted. Gimme a call at 571 7742.

17. Erich_in_AZ

I saw your wife coming over there as I was pulling out... Sorry to hear about the grounding. Maybe we can get together next week and do the Tucson Mall. I hear the Food Court Loop is pretty extreme....

So are you grounded from wheeling, the Florence area, or just Martinez Canyon?

I can't make it tomorrow. I've been promising the wife I'd go to church with her for about 3 months now, and I have an idea if I cancelled again, I'd probably be in the doghouse as well! Good luck! If you think you will really need another person, or if you need tools or parts when you ge out there, call me at home (I'll PM the number).

Erich

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hey, no sweat. I *stay* in the dog house (check the name /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ). It aint so bad once you get used to it... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I only give Tucson Mall a 1 out of 10 - a much better challenge can be had at Park Mall/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

20. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Damnit you and Pugsley are harsh!!! Erich, I think we'll be OK. We decided Don should get new ball joints so we just smashed the others out. His friend installed them (good thing too) and we're gonna head up and deal with it today.
    I kind of had a God like experience yesterday so I feel good about skipping church today. We were at the cabin in the early AM and I happenend to look up to the west and the sun shining on the pink and red just blew me out of the water. It was incredible!!!!