Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna lift er' what do I need??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, May 12, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Gonna lift er\' what do I need??

I've finally got the funds to lift my blazer now I just have to decide on which kit...For now Im just gonna do 4" with blocks in the rear...latter down the road I'll do the shackle flip, but for now just blocks...I've found a few kits I like Pro-comp cuz they have everything I need, steering arm, shocks, brakeline ext, etc... Or Tuff country cuz I have heard good things about theirs but I'll have to pay extra for the shocks and drop steering arm, no biggie cuz the price works out to be about the same...and Im wondering where the cheapest place to get either one is I have found the pro-comp for about 540 shipped and the TC with shocks and steering arm for about the same shipped Im wondering if it'd be cheaper to go through a parts store then online so Im not paying shipping. anyways...How difficult is it to intsall a lift and what tools are required and will I have to get an alingment afterwards?? any info would help a ton!! thanks
    -Brian-

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Re: Gonna lift er\' what do I need??

With respect to your alignment question...

solid axles are pretty simple, and they don't have the tremendous variety of adjustments that the newfangled IFS (and IRS) trucks do.

Basically, you have the parallelism of the front tires, which is adjusted with the lateral tie rod, and you have the steering wheel centering to the axle, which is adjusted with the front-to-back short bar (draglink.)

The former shouldn't be changed by the lift. The latter can be adjusted by you, until the wheel is centered when the truck is centered.

If it were me, no, I wouldn't have it aligned. I've had each of the trucks done once -- so that the tires aren't toed in or out -- and then I leave them be, unless a suspension component (the tie rod ends) gets replaced. [I tried counting turns and the damn thing was still out of whack afterwards /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif]

-- A

3. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Pitman arm puller...1/2" drive sockets, beer, 1/2 drive ratchet, beer, (air tools are better) & beer.

4. smprider112

hahaha...I've got the beer, and plenty of it...the tools yes, except air tools, but I could borrow some from friends...as for the pitman arm puller, where could I find one and whats it do??

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Might be able to rent one from autozone, schuck's, etc.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont know where you got that price quoted but it is way to much for just blocks out back, here is the lift kit that I should have bought, it is about $300. whatever you do DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy rough country I bought it and it rides like a tractor, I am about to replace the front springs with tough country's ez-rides. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    suspension connection

7. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

try ntwonline.com they have cheap SuperLift deals /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hahaha...I've got the beer, and plenty of it...the tools yes, except air tools, but I could borrow some from friends...as for the pitman arm puller, where could I find one and whats it do??

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a pitman arm puller from Autozone for $14.99 when I did some work on my '95 2wd truck.

Why do you need to take the pitman arm off?

9. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

I'm also in the market for a 4 incher, my problem is this...that $300 lift suddenly turns to this when your in Alaska....
    Ship weight: 136
    Sales tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $338.60
    Subtotal: $464.95
    Total: $803.55
    Shipping Options
    UPS 2nd Day Air (AK/HI) ($338.60)UPS Next Day Air (AK/HI) ($497.86)
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

10. smprider112

suspension connection is where the price was 570 or so....once u add in shocks, and drop steering arm, then shipping. there prices seem good but there kits come with no shocks. and I think shipping to me was like 75 or so.

11. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

The subtotal for mine was $465 with shocks and a steering arm, pretty resonable I think....but that !%$#*$ shipping gets me evertime /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

You will need a 15/16 deep well socket and a 1/2 inch ratchet that is pretty big. This will help you break the bolts loose then use an airgun if you got it. Also if you can use some PB blaster on the ubolts the day prior it will help them from siezing up on you. The lift is pretty easy, go here for some tips UAV lift install

13. smprider112

is superlift a pretty good susp. kit?? I found one at Ntwonline.com for a pretty good price and they come with shocks which is a plus since thats how it seems TC gets ya. and for 4" lift are ext. brake lines a must?? this isnt gonna be a hardcore wheeler just a DD with some mild trail/dune usage.