Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna make my own beadlocks...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I was reading THIS thread over on Pirate, and after lookin at things there and lookin at my wheels, I don't see why I can't make my own beadlocks. It looks pretty simple. I have a plasma cutter, I can make some kinda jig to cut out the rings and lay out the positions of the holes. I can get all the free allen head bolts and nylock nuts I can use from work. I've got almost enough 1/4" plate to do all the rings. Pretty sure it's not gonna be real cost effective- But thats fine. I like building my own stuff. I was messin around a bit tonight and cut out one of the inner rings. If I can figure out some kinda hole cutting jig for the plasma cutter I could whip out the rings in an hour or so. Of course there's the time spent laying out and drilling all the holes. I'm thinkin I could get the rings cut out and holes drilled in a day. They spend the next day unmounting the tires, welding the rings and assembling. I'm wondering how many bolts for a 16.5 wheel? 32 per wheel maybe? 24? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'll keep ya'all updated on this project as I work on it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

sounds sweet... I want to make some rock rings out of 1/8" diamond plate (mainly for looks for the rusty bucket) if I have some left over from my body work.

dont forget pics! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Of course I'll have pictures, probably more than you'll want to look at. Like usuall. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Hypertherm sells a circular pattern maker for their plasma cutters. Or you could make something like this.

[​IMG]

Drill a hole in the plate you are going to use, bolt the hole to the left in it, make the other holes just big enough for the cutter tip to fit into and "BAM!!!" you got rings.

FYI, the inner & outer rings are two different sizes and make sure to cut the outer part of the ring first.

5. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Hypertherm sells a circular pattern maker for their plasma cutters. Or you could make something like this.

[​IMG]

Drill a hole in the plate you are going to use, bolt the hole to the left in it, make the other holes just big enough for the cutter tip to fit into and "BAM!!!" you got rings.

FYI, the inner & outer rings are two different sizes and make sure to cut the outer part of the ring first.

[/ QUOTE ]

w00t! We have a winner! Damn, why didn't I thihnk of that? So simple. Anyways, does anyone know how much bigger the outter ring is supposed to be? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was thinking about making my rings...

But...Cybrfire...
    sells the rings for $65 a wheel...
    in any design you want...
    so I went that route...

Call me a lazy...
    but that's a deal...

I should see'm in a month!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Both rings are the same outside diameter the inside diameter is up to you just remember you need room to put the lug nuts on.

8. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

There is a pattern on PBB in the tech section. I think it is for 15" wheels, but it will give you an idea on the ring sizes.