Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gonna need a new CK5 sticker now...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Sep 6, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've had the same windshield in my truck since '93 and it didn't even have a chip in it...until today. I needed to remove it to swap windshield frames. I bought the correct tool, pulled the gasket rope thing out and ran the tool around the glass once. At that point all was good. I then gently began trying to work the glass out of the gasket and almost had it...then the beotch cracked on the drivers side (of course)/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'll prolly throw it back in when I'm done and get a new one in a couple of months as long as I don't make it worse putting it back in. I'm not holding my breath though, once they're cracked it's really hard to keep them from getting worse.

Rene

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had a chicken nugget problem coming home from uhwarrie this last time and mine broke, found a free replacment but the guy helping me got a little excited when it was ALMOST out and it cracked, but we taped and kicked mine out before than so it had to go in, of course it kept on craking and now has to be replaced agian /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. tRustyK5

Makes you admire the guys that can swap those things all day long without breaking them...

Rene

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

MAN THAT SUCKS /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. tRustyK5

Welp, the windshield is secondary now. Found a bunch of rust long the bottom of the windshield frame under the gasket. Pretty much explains why it always leaked when it rained /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Of course the top half is fine and it's the only part getting chucked in favor of the '74 frame. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Looks like I won't be driving it to work tomorrow after all.

Rene

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

last friday i had a rock (like 2-3" diameter) fly off the back of a semi and hit my windshield runnin bout 75mph. Blew glass off the inside, suprised didnt go on through the glass....ah well, come weds will have a new windshield courtesy of insurance.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

5 spot says it was cracked due to a chip, ever one i have pulled that cracked was chiped never saw it but if ya look closely along the crack youll find a little chip i bet.

i dont have a banner yet i want one that says JEEP. Its whats for dinner! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    5 spot says it was cracked due to a chip, ever one i have pulled that cracked was chiped never saw it but if ya look closely along the crack youll find a little chip i bet.

i dont have a banner yet i want one that says JEEP. Its whats for dinner! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...could be I guess. Could be the steel screwdriver I was prying it out with too though /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rust is gone anyways, a little rust convertor and some JB weld and Bob's yer uncle. I really didn't feel like firing up the welder again today. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It really wasn't as bad as I first thought...once I wire wheeled it and got rid of the scale it looked OK. From what I can see there are supposed to be a few holes in that area allowing the water to drain into the cowl if it does get in there.

Rene

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Dang Rene... too bad youre not closer. Ive got a brand new window sitting here Id give you a great deal on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wont be needing it when I get that S-10 body on.

I dont think it would survive the shipping either!

Mike

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear it Rene. But Hockey season is coming.... I am sure you can win a new CK5 sticker! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

That Sucks Rene! 3 out of my 4 vehicles have either a cracked windsheild(My 74 K20,another reason I'm going to part it out--not much left of the windsheild frame where it meets the cab,not worth doing)and my 79 C10 and my 81 van both have "bullseyes"and rock chips,your lucky to go anywhere around here without losing a windsheild--between all the road construction debris kicked up by semi's and other vehicles,and the kids in their booming speakerbox"rapmobiles" shooting at everyone on the expressway with BB guns for entertainment,our insurance companies are crying they want to drop glass coverage--my agent told me over 6,000 windsheilds get broken every day in my state alone! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. I wish they would make them out of lexan or something else unbreakable--if we can put a man on the moon,why cant we invent an unbreakable windsheild?? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. tRustyK5

So when do the Penguins and Canucks play next? Anyone see an NHL sched yet? I'm betting it'll be a short season starting around January if they play at all... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Lexan would be cool, but it does scratch easily. This windshield I had was over 11 years old. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Rene

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sucks...

I had a tree branch go through my windshield this weekend.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. Emmettology 101

Very true. According to the Pens site, they play on Dec. 14th..... Keep your fingers crossed! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    That sucks...

I had a tree branch go through my windshield this weekend.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Of all the things I've hit, rubbed or bounced off when wheeling...and then I break my windshield in the carport. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

At least your windshield died a respectable death. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

16. Emmettology 101

Wellsville must like windshields.. I lost one in Emmett there also. Even pulled back some of the roof.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    That sucks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Of all the things I've hit, rubbed or bounced off when wheeling...and then I break my windshield in the carport. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

At least your windshield died a respectable death. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a hole the size of a basketball...in my glass..
    the tree branch pulled the glass out..and put glass shavings all over the interior...
    I was lucky I didn't get glass in my eyes... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sunday I pulled the glass..and ran without it..
    I may just leave-it that way...
    I have much better visiblity...and the interior...
    is much cooler now... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Wellsville must like windshields.. I lost one in Emmett there also. Even pulled back some of the roof.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I know...I've been considering...
    some Lexan MR10 mar-proof for my new windshield..

You should have come out...
    I had a GREAT run...
    It was funny watching my Jeeper buds...having trouble...
    after I made short work of some of the obsticles..
    One of them...even said...I want a k5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status